Featured Potties,Indian or Mexican ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by johnnycb09, Jan 11, 2022.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. I almost passed this over as the bottom made me think resin,but it rings like ceramic and smells like raku. I see "CG" but no search results under Native American or Mexican. I tried google images and tineye too . I just want yall to know I really do try before asking ! :) Any input is appreciated
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judy, dude, sabre123 and 1 other person like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Boland, Bronwen, dude and 3 others like this.
  3. johnnycb09

4. say_it_slowly

I used Google Lens but I do have a black pot with the avanyu figure by a San Ildefonso potter so I was curious too as the base doesn't look like I'd have expected.

judy, Boland, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The bottom, with the saw marks, looks more like resin than ceramic. The fact that there are at least two viturally identical is also suspicious. It may be an imitation of Santa Clara Pueblo style pottery:
    upload_2022-1-11_18-32-22.jpeg

6. johnnycb09

See i thought that too but it feels and rings like ceramic?

judy, Bronwen and dude like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

those bubbles look like resin to me....
    or at least some kind of molded item..

johnnycb09 and judy like this.
  9. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Could it perhaps be clay but made from a mold, repeatedly and cheaply?

I thought that if there were lots of bubbles in the clay that when it was fired it would explode... 'spalling' it's called.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    judy and komokwa like this.
  10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Smells like Raku? Is that an expression or meant literally? I need to know before I start sniffing my pottery like a crazy person lol.

johnnycb09, judy and Potteryplease like this.
  11. say_it_slowly

First I admit to smelling pottery sometimes. :DIt often does smell like dirt and if I suspected resin I would look for a plastic smell. I also want to use most senses, I want to feel it, look at it, I will sometime lightly tap it to hear it, smell it and if evaluating a small bit of broken pot, apply it to my tongue to see if it sticks to see if it's vitrified. I think I am a little crazy though so there is that:).

I've been looking at the book Southwestern Pottery Anasazi to Zuni where it discusses Jemez. They went through some changes and hard times with their potting and even used some greenware back in the '60s before going through much experimenting. They show one pot made by Carol Loretto from the 90s (doesn't say Carol Grace so could be a different potter I suppose) however of a different type than the carved pot, more like the second signed pot I posted above. No signatures or bases are shown.

Maybe Taupou can help.@Taupou

J Dagger and johnnycb09 like this.
  12. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have a pot that I am going to post for info later. It has the same striations on the bottom if I look closely in the right light.They don't show because they are not as pronounced or blackened. I would gather it is from the tool they use to even up the bottom. I wet a patch on the bottom and dried it off. the wet spot remains as I suspected. I have resin piece. I wet it and dried it off and there is no sign of the wet spot as I also suspected. If it was ceramic there would also not be a wet spot after wiping off. You might try wetting the inside of the pot and see if the wet spot is still noticeable if it is it is probably clay. IMG_20220112_094432095.jpg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Pottery made on a wheel may have striations on the bottom, caused by the wire the potter draws underneath the vessel to remove it from the wheel. They usually form an arc, rather then running straight across like the ones on Johnny's pot.

Traditional Pueblo pottery is not made on a wheel. The last photo in say_it_slowly's last post shows what the bottom should look like on a genuine pot.

Potteryplease likes this.
  14. johnnycb09

Apparently the price tag was placed over this spot ,im sure not to disguise the chip ! Its definitely clay.Thank you all so much,this has turned into an interesting discussion !
    [​IMG]

Potteryplease likes this.
  15. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I did not realize my level of ignorance on Pueblo pottery. Their post as so symmetrical that i would have thought they were done a wheel after toomanybooks comment i wanted to find out how they made them so well. Great video on You tube. I did not realize they used the bottom part of a gourd to give the rounded bottom . The video is excellent. Thank you too many books for your comment that piqued my interest. I always love to learn. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pueblo+po...i=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyHL7kF_c0o

2manybooks likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted