Featured Potties, standard glaze spittoon. Loy-Nel-Art?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lvetterli, Oct 5, 2022.

1. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Howdy folks. Seems like I've lots of things to ask about lately, I really appreciate having you all to come to for help!

Picked this up today, probably spent too much on it but I'm not finding much in the way of spittoons/cuspidors like this. As always, any and all assistance is greatly appreciated. 20221005_173424.jpg 20221005_182834.jpg

It's very heavy. The top rim is not perfectly level and the glaze looks about a foot deep. Green over deep brown.

Thanks for help, boardies!

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  2. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

it looks like there might be a red flower on the side you didn't show? I am getting a JB Owens Utopian Ware Standard Glaze feeling about it...

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  3. lvetterli

No other flower, that's a reflection of a cranberry glass cruet that's adjacent to it.
    Thanks!

Linda

judy likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If I saw that here, Barum / Brannam.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. lvetterli

@Ownedbybear I found this in Iowa so not terribly likely Barum/Brannam.
    @verybrad Got any ideas where I might get further info? The McCoy Pottery Identification Facebook group didn't know.

Thanks for looking, peeps.

Linda

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not really. There is probably someone out there that knows standard glaze pottery inside and out that could identify this. I never had much interest in it. Think the lack of quality of the painting rules out some of the best known potteries.

8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

it looks like yellow ware clay. you might narrow your search.

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'll just throw in another name, Ruko (Radford). I have a standard glaze vase with handpainted flowers though mine is marked. Just what you wanted I'm sure. More possibilities:)

10. lvetterli

At this point, this one is still up in the air. I contacted the seller of the vase you linked @verybrad He said it is very difficult to identify standard glaze pieces if they are unmarked. Yet, many of the sold pieces on ebay identified as Loy-Nel-Art are unmarked. (And he has several pieces he has id'd as Loy-Nel-Art and none of them are marked.) @say_it_slowly I looked at Ruko Radford and the bases are mostly very light. This is either a yellow clay or the glaze over the bottom has a yellow cast to it. I did find a website that stated Loy-Nel-Art was hand painted, always with a flower and had green on the front and orange on the back. Some had an impressed mark Loy-Nel-Art McCoy Pottery. I may just have to hang on to it for a while. Thanks for all your helps, folks.

Linda

say_it_slowly likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

I thought I'd just put a couple quick photos of my vase so you might see why I mentioned it. (I had way too much help from my rescue kitties:hilarious:.) I have no idea if yours could be from the same company.

Front green merged into brown, back orangish, base with stilt marks etc.

20221017_101259.jpg 20221017_101444.jpg 20221017_105015.jpg 20221017_101502.jpg

BoudiccaJones, kentworld and komokwa like this.
  12. lvetterli

Wow! If not for the Ruko mark they could be cousins! Your kitties look very helpful! And snugglable. My poor baby is struggling with chronic kidney failure, we've been at it for about 3 years now. She is scrawny thin and must be coaxed to eat but recently has taken to curling up against me at night in bed. We'll just keep on keeping on, as long as she's not in pain.

Thanks for your help,
    Linda

say_it_slowly likes this.
  13. say_it_slowly

Oh Linda sorry to hear about your baby. I have one old boy that is not amused at having four other cats in the house right now while I try to find them homes. I mostly keep him away from the babies as he really isn't up to dealing with them. We do what we can don't we:)

Draft saved Draft deleted