Potties,who made me?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by johnnycb09, Dec 19, 2017.

1. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Hi all. Full disclosure,I always search exhaustively before I ask yall,but these have me stumped. They are 8 1/2x7 1/2 ,and the only ones I found sorta close were Wedgwood,wich I doubt these are.Theres 2 of them. No markings anywhere,so any input is always appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Sure looks the color and beauty of old Steubenville.

Is that an intaglio impression on the back?

3. antidiem

I should mention that I've never seen "just a leaf" (and a sizable one at that!) when I used to collect old Stubenville pieces. It just looks like that.

I ended up giving all of my old Stubenville and other dinnerware sets away.:wideyed:

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A search for 'ceramic grape leaf shaped plate' seems to produce mainly maple leaf shaped plates from Pottery Barn. A few others with some similarity are Portuguese majolica. Puttin' up this one cuz it's Christmas.

[​IMG]

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Johnny,
    I have two white matching ones to yours. I have several Wedgwood ones that are marked. I know the anguish.
    greg

judy likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

Just a quirk in the glaze,Antidiem. The "old" color is what caught my eye on these,like I needed ONE more thing in this house !

judy and antidiem like this.
  7. antidiem

Totally understand!

judy likes this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Mentioned this in another thread. Nothing decisive, just an observation I have made over time. You see this green that's edging toward blue in English pottery, while the rest of the world favors a green with more yellow, such as the holly leaf above.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  9. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

Think I am seeing a faint 3 line mark on the bottom. Most likely says
    WOODFIELD/ MFG BY/ Steubenville. The raised foot ring is typical of Woodfield pieces. The color is seafoam green. They did make an 8-7/8"plate with open twig handle. Quite sure antideim was on the right track.
    https://www.replacements.com/webquote/stbwoosfg.htm

judy, Bronwen, antidiem and 1 other person like this.
  10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

judy and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. johnnycb09

Wow,thank you all so much for your hard work. I think it very possibly is Steubenville !

judy, Bronwen and antidiem like this.
  12. antidiem

Well dang! I got one right? :cat::cat: TWO CATS!!

dgbjwc, SBSVC, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know the first thing about Stubenville however when I've looked at them, the shapes I'm seeing aren't like yours and the bases aren't either. The bases I've seen all have a glazed footrim. My searches certainly haven't been exhaustive and maybe someone has an example that matches yours.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted