Featured POW Marquetry Smoking Desk Set 1940/45

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Nathan Lindop, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Bought this over a year ago from an auction cheaply. Thought it was really odd and interesting.

It is a smoking desk/table set made up of an ashtray, a box for cigarettes and a match holder/ striker, there is also a section for placing the top of the cigarette holder. The whole piece is made of amateur Marquetry which shows in the damage, the sides have split since I’ve owned it, likely because of the glue and size of pieces.

The base reads :
    “Worked on river Sence Weir, at Coalfield Farm”
    “Camped at Garenden, Nr Loughborough”
    “Made by German Prisoners of War 1940/45”
    “Heather (Nov. 1947)”

I assume heather is the person who wrote this two years after the war.

Any info appreciated.

9D406E4E-020A-4E36-9BFD-B9E74C7A07B3.jpeg 0B0F2A49-AE2E-4292-B198-3FC0D35BF5AD.jpeg EB5EC18F-37CB-40FA-A233-584F2C4C7D1A.jpeg 8BE61D32-D44E-49A3-90BD-150A32EA7B51.jpeg A46588AB-54BD-478D-B97D-1CAB72576114.jpeg 618A090F-8AF5-444C-9D23-7FE9D28813C3.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Neat! Btw - I think the end of the first line is Coalfield Farm.

3. Nathan Lindop

Oops, I wrote then relooked at it because of the way ‘Heather’ writes her C’s

All changed now, thanks for pointing it out

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Seems like all the info...is already there....:rolleyes:;);):)

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Nathan Lindop

I was just throwing it out there in case anyone with better military knowledge or research available to them would know about the area mentioned.

I’ll be selling this soon so I’d love for anyone who knows to share what they think it’s worth

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

7. Nathan Lindop

Brilliant, a record of the camp at Garenden, Loughborough. Thank you :bookworm: EB0E45C5-4F55-49E7-BD26-0FFA2619A7BB.png

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well, I guess there was indeed more info to be had !! :):):)

Nathan Lindop likes this.
  9. Nathan Lindop

Haha, you made a fair point though haha. I just couldn’t find any records on my own :happy:

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

What are the dimensions?

Yes I collect stuff, pls let me know when u put it up 4 sale, I’ll reserve a corner for it.

11. Nathan Lindop

@springfld.arsenal you still interested? I don’t have a place for this at all. the wood had come away from the item a little bit if I got your email I can send extensive photos of the desk set so your sure your happy about it I think it’s repairable with glue anyway. I didn’t do the damage by the way haha.

Draft saved Draft deleted