Powder Horn

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by jingyel, Aug 13, 2020.

1. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

Please check the photos. It has date of 1759. 12" long. do you think this original?
    What is the time frame, and how much you think it worth? 88758931_1_x.jpg 88758931_2_x.jpg 88758931_3_x.jpg 88758931_4_x.jpg 88758931_5_x.jpg

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Do you have any background / history for it? 1759 was during the French and Indian War between the British and French in North America.

I can't say if it is genuine, but just a few observations. With the fluer de lis and the French text in the engraving, it presumably belonged to a French soldier. Can you show us the complete name to the left of the date - ****NAD HEMAR?. Someone might be able to research to see if such a person existed during the right time period. The clothing of the women is appropriate for the time, with the panniers (side hoops). The lettering is curious. He uses a U in Meurs, but Vs in Rigueur.

I see at least one nail holding the base in, which would be expected. But there are also several slotted screws which might not be expected to be readily available for casual repairs until after 1770, when Ramsden invented the first practical screw cutting lathe.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice photo's..

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it seems off to me......to cutesy for the period.....& I would expect the end cap to be more bulbous...

bobsyouruncle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted