Featured Pray you get it right

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Miscstuff, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

"Get it right and yee shall earn my eternal gratitude"
    Said Stephen from the priory for the slow learners...

Age and origin if possible please.
    Data
    1-24.5cm High 1.02Kg - I.N.R.I. in large letters on broken rear scroll.
    2- 20.8cm High 0.22Kg - marked S.Anna
    3- 15.7cm High 0.15Kg

1a.jpg 1b.jpg 2a.jpg 2b.jpg 3a.jpg 3b.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

On 2a. Is the spelling Anne or Anna?
    That could rule in or out some countries.

I can’t read it very well.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Miscstuff

It is "Anna".:)

i need help likes this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

great pieces, love them!

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

St. Anne - I'm guessing she's the Prophetess in the Bible who was there for the dedication of the infant Jesus. I think there is a Saint Anne who is supposed to have been Mary's mother too. I don't know enough about old Catholic iconography to get much further.

6. Miscstuff

You might be right it could be a dodgy "E" that looks like an "A".
    s-anna.jpg

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are beautiful, although provenance could be dodgy. I remember when our churches and chapels were broken into and many statues were stolen to be sold on the international market.
    But I guess we won't know now.

Anyway, the first one is Mary in prayer after the death of Jesus, the other two are of Anne, with Mary.

#1 could be from the Netherlands. She is the little masterpiece of the three.

#2 S. Anna looks Portuguese, with those colours, but I could be wrong.

#3 my guess would be southern France or northern Spain. Given her size, she could have been made for a private chapel.
    In popular Catholic devotion they are one and the same.:)
    She isn't mentioned in the Canon, the officially recognized Scriptures, so not recognized by the Church. But she is mentioned in the apocryphal proto-gospel of James, who is supposedly the son of Joseph, and therefore Jesus' half-brother.

Anne's story is typical of the time it was written in. She and her husband couldn't have children, but God made sure she became pregnant anyway.
    It is actually the miraculous pregnancy of Anne that is the famous 'Immaculate Conception', which is why Mary says of herself "I am the Immaculate Conception" when she appears to Bernadette Soubirous.
    Btw, Bernadette never calls her Mary, but "The Lady".

I never said popular Catholicism was based on logic.;) Blame it on pre-Christian traditions.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Miscstuff likes this.
  8. Miscstuff

You have my eternal gratitude.:D

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Wow, I am impressed, that means gratitude for the rest of my life and even in the hereafter.:jawdrop::playful:

David Kiehl likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Blimey, you've just outcatholiced me. I'd never twigged that immaculate conception thing.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

I was not only raised a Catholic (with the right amount of Shamanism thrown in), I also studied theology.
    Yes, it is actually different from what most people think. One generation difference.;)
    It is all based on much older Asian tradtions, where a leader has to have an immaculate conception somewhere in his or her ancestry. The first mention is in the Gilgamesh.
    I am ok, there is an immaculate conception in my Madurese ancestry, phew.:playful:

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm just an ignorant Protestant. We were taught that Mary was conceived in the usual way, and that the Prophetess in the Temple wasn't related.

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted