Featured Praying Reading Chess Set Identification

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Adele Boese, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Adele Boese

Adele Boese Member

I purchased this chess set because it was strangely creepy, when I got home I noticed that the black side is carrying books and the white side is praying which is even more intriguing. Can anyone help me identif s-l1600 (18).jpg s-l1600 (21).jpg s-l1600 (20).jpg y this set?

Christmasjoy, judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Monks v priests?
    It is a Spanish souvenir. They are still being made.

3. Adele Boese

Adele Boese Member

Thank you, Spanish is not what I would have thought of, I appreciate the answer.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Christians v. Moors?

Adele Boese likes this.
  5. Adele Boese

Adele Boese Member

Thank you for the feedback, I think I figured it out thanks to you hints. The set was made in Catalunya - gaudily painted bands of simply carved chessmen, folkloric style, rough painting, 1960ies - carved by Escardibul.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Key word "medieval."

Debora

Adele Boese likes this.
  7. Adele Boese

Adele Boese Member

Yes agreed definitely medieval, especially with a the castle like case/board.

Draft saved Draft deleted