Featured "Pre-Colombian" Artifacts

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by SeaGoat, Aug 31, 2017.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

We popped open a box while looking through some things at that house yesterday.
    Unrolled two pieces and needed to see no more.. We're taking it.

Im not exactly sure what they are..
    I *think* I have an idea, but this is no where near anything I know about...

What do yall think of these pieces??

This was in the bottom of the box..
    I have searched for this guys name, the only thing that came up in census records was a Sr and a Jr around the 1940s..
    Sr was from Germany and a Plumber, Jr was a chauffeur.
    IDK if theyd have these pieces
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(My Favorite Piece)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u need an expert for those......they have to be seen in the hand..

3. SeaGoat

Ive reached out to a high school friend of mine that studied Anthropology at UGA.
    I remember seeing pictures she posted of them doing an archaeological dig. Im hoping she can point me in the right direction to someone that can help.

The SO is actually on a job site right now that is half shut down due to a archaeological dig they believe is one of the earliest colonies in Georgia.

Maybe I need to go pop down and say hello :angelic:

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. SeaGoat

I mean to post this pictures in with the rest.
    I think whomever wrote this misspelled it by sounding it out. I just havent cracked the code yet
    [​IMG]

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is early morning here, what is wrong with the spelling? Is there a code?
    "Pre-Columbian Pottery. From Albert Eisenlau Estate Please handle - care" (Please handle with care.)

As Komo said, these have to be handled (and smelled) to assess the age. All of the figurines are in early pre-Columbian Mexican styles, but there are many replicas of these.
    I like the little jaguar head as well.
    Just a request: Please put whatever is resting on the double spouted vessel somewhere else.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  6. SeaGoat

:wacky:
    I meant I couldn't figure out his last name, but when I saw you spell it it made sense
    1:30 is not kind to me..

I picked up the guy with the sticker on his feet today (in front of the sicky looking child)..
    Its a whistle :joyful:

I smell everything and my co workers call me crazy!
    You can tell a lot about an item by smelling it

What should these smell like?

I know the whistle left a rather odd taste on my lips :depressed:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. SeaGoat

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've heard talk of a moisture test to confirm the age of preco items.....
    just sayin..

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. SeaGoat

What's that?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. SeaGoat

I got better pictures today, hope they help

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. SeaGoat

12. Any Jewelry

Again, best to take them to someone who can see and smell them in person. Looking at the screen I can only give styles.
    The style of that broken twin vessel with the mask is probably the region of Costa Rica to Colombia.
    The double spouted vessel is Tairona style, Colombia.
    The big-eyed warrior with the warclub is Moche style, coastal Peru.
    I have to go now, will get back to you.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  13. Deangreen

Deangreen New Member

I ended up getting the double-spouted Tairona vessel from a local auction. I was told it was a "Native American wedding vessel" where the bride drinks from one side of the vase. Then she turns it and the Groom drinks from the opposite site. Then they both drink at the same time and it's said if they don't spill anything the marriage will have good luck and prosper. Just wondering if any more info has been collected on this piece. I sprayed it with water and did not notice any cracks. Then I gave it a good sniff, but did not detect the earthy smell.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Deangreen

Deangreen New Member

After spraying with tap-water (chlorinated), my wife said it had a faint odor of "a coming rain shower".

15. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The story of the "wedding vase" is just that...a story. It's a bit of made-up nonsense designed to help sell souvenirs to gullible tourists.

The so-called "wedding vase" form is thoroughly documented in references, such as The Native American Curio Trade in New Mexico by Jonathan Batkin.

It was actually designed by John Candelario, an early Santa Fe curio dealer. He took the idea to Santa Clara potters and had them make the design to sell in his shop. He added the invented story and the name "wedding vase" to help sales. (Which is not to say that Candelario may not have been influenced by pre-Columbian forms for his design.)

The first Santa Clara "wedding vases" were made in 1900, but the idea quickly spread to other tribes and it became an iconic Indian pottery souvenir. Some Indian potters believed the story enough to repeat it as the truth, and now it's repeated endlessly on line. But there are no documented wedding vases dating earlier than those commissioned by Candelario.

16. Deangreen

Deangreen New Member

Thanks for the info. The story did sound too much of a western culture-influenced romanticization to be associated with actual Native American marriage rituals. Was this vessel designed for any specific purpose and do you suspect it is likely a reproduction?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  17. Any Jewelry

It is assumed Peruvian double spouted vessels were made for ritual use. I don't know if anyone can make the same assumption of Tairona double spouted vessels.
    What you were told before was a 20th century story, which can never be superimposed on pre-Columbian concepts, which we know little about anyway.

There are some very good replicas of Tairona vessels and pre-Columbian pottery in general, so I'll just repeat what I wrote before in this thread: Take it to an expert. Please read the thread.
    Anyone who knows pre-Columbian pottery has to see, feel and smell it to be able to judge it. We are an online forum and can't tell from a photo. We keep saying that to everyone who has a question about pre-Columbian pottery. A description of a smell before and after tapwater does not help, it is subjective, too dependent on the sense of smell of the people involved.
    I would never recommend exposing possible pre-Columbian pottery to tapwater. Chlorinated tapwater on ancient artifacts is the stuff of nightmares to me.
    Did you buy the exact same one as in the picture SeaGoat posted? Is that a mark on the bottom? If so, it is a replica.
    Good replicas have value, but not as much as the real deal of course. Here are some replicas and prices:
    http://www.acrossthepuddle.com/collections/ceramics?pc_ceramic_object=501

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Jeff Drum and Deangreen like this.
  18. SeaGoat

the one in mine is not a mark

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Deangreen

Deangreen New Member

IMG_3601.JPG IMG_3598.JPG It doesn't seem to be a mark, but some sort of flaw. There are two holes on both sides of the base. Any idea what these are?

20. Any Jewelry

So we are talking about two different Tairona vessels? Because when Deangreen said he bought the double spouted Tairona vessel, I assumed 'the' referred to the one in SeaGoat's post.
    Sorry, no idea. The 'dirt' on yours makes me think it is a replica, but best to take it to an expert.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted