Featured Presumably Fake Romanesque Cast

Discussion in 'Art' started by Nicholas Molinari, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari New Member

I bought this from a seller who claimed it was a "carved stone" sculpture. When I received it, it was apparent (to me, at least) that this is not carved but rather cast from a mold, using cement or some other artificial stone compound. My suspicions were confirmed (I think) when I found this other piece (see pic 1) for comparison, from the same mold (the second piece is said to be 17th century Spain). I'm returning the item, even though the seller "stands by" his description.

My question is: does anyone have any background on these casts? Is my opinion correct? If they are antique casts I might still be interested in keeping it, but if it is a contemporary (mid 20th century or later) creation, not so much.

Comparison.png IMG_8889.jpg IMG_8888.jpg IMG_8894.jpg IMG_8852.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I don’t think these are the exact mold. But I don’t know about old molds, maybe someone will know. But I don’t think these are the same.

3. Nicholas Molinari

The angle and lighting makes them look a bit different--in hand, the features and style are identical.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have seen quite a lot of molded Romanesque style reliefs in Provence, France. I can't remember if I saw this one, but they do make them there.
    They are very nice, but not the real deal of course.

5. Nicholas Molinari

Thank you--you agree this is a mold, not carved or sculpted?

I see your edit now, thanks.

6. Nicholas Molinari

What would you put the value at? If asking about prices is against the rules, please ignore.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8. Any Jewelry

Did I edit it? Can't remember, but my memory isn't what it used to be.;) I did put mold in immediately, I know that much.

9. Nicholas Molinari

10. Any Jewelry

11. Nicholas Molinari

Maybe I didn't read the last sentence my first time through--that is certainly possible!

12. Any Jewelry

It isn't.;)

13. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

:( Thanks for pointing out the fake on ebay.

14. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

You can see some of the aggregate in the concrete.

15. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

To MY eye also, the two side by side pieces, are NOT identical!!! Very similar, yes, but by no means identical!! IMHO!!! And I DO realize each are being viewed from slightly different angles.....

16. Nicholas Molinari

It does look considerably different in the photo, but I've examined the piece in hand and can confirm it is from the same mold. These were probably touched up a bit on a case-by-case basis and "aged" differently, and also a different stone mix in each one.

Draft saved Draft deleted