Featured Pretty porcelain bowl/dish ID please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by tyeldom3, Jul 13, 2016.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Measures approximately 12" diameter and a little over 2" high. It's sort of like a large shallow bowl in shape. Any ideas who dunnit or when? And what is the term for the edges? Thanks for your time.
    d1.jpg d2.jpg d3.jpg

2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I believe this is RS Prussia but I haven't been able to find the mold in my books. You need to get that wire hanger off. It doesn't look like a tension hanger but still it's best not to have it on there. There is an RS Prussia group on Facebook that could ID it right away. I think they've got a convention going on right now but you should still get a response pretty quickly.
    Don

*crs*, lauragarnet and tyeldom3 like this.
  3. tyeldom3

Thank you ever so much Don, I have heard of that before and it sure does look similar now that I know what to search for!:kiss:
    Unfortunately I am not a Facebooker so am unable to look for that group.;)
    I tried to remove that plate hanger with no luck.:(:( It is a very odd type that I've never seen before (not that I have lots of experience though). It is rather tight on there and I don't know how to remove it. I tried turning that circular piece to loosen but it wouldn't budge either.

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I could post the pictures to the FB group if I have your permission. As for the wire - if you have a pair of wire cutters cut it right in the center on the back (on either side of the base circle). Once you've divided it into two it should be easy to free it.
    Don

lauragarnet and tyeldom3 like this.
  5. tyeldom3

Awesome Don, yes of course you have my permission to post them, that would be so kind of you and thank you so much!
    I will see if I can find some wire cutters and try your suggestion. :cat:

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Okay, I've got it posted. Will report back as soon as I receive a response! :)

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Three responses so far. All three state it is RS Prussia and these folks know their stuff.
    Don

8. tyeldom3

Wonderful Don, can't thank you enough for posting it for me! That was very kind of you.
    Is there anything else I should know about it prior to listing? I'm confused about some of the prices I'm seeing. It seems on eBay RS Prussia doesn't sell very often. And I'm seeing high prices for some of these on other sites like etsy. What am I missing, or not understanding, LOL?! Thanks again!!

9. tyeldom3

Just did a little more digging around...would this be mold #75? A cake plate?:confused:

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The RS Prussia market has dropped quite a bit since the last recession. Some dealers cannot or will not adjust their prices. The highest priced pieces tend to be larger items with portrait scenes or pieces with heavy cobalt. The mold 75 bowl currently for sale on ebay is, in my mind, wildly overpriced. $99.99 would be much more realistic as a starting price and even then I'd be surprised if it sold.

The desirability of the mold and the decoration factor into the price. I believe it is mold 75 and that it is a cake plate. Cake plates tend to be one of the most common forms. Mold 75, though, is desirable. The decoration on your plate is also very nice (much nicer than the $400 piece). Pricing, or course, is always tricky. If it were mine and I was selling it on ebay I would use auction format and start it at a price where I felt comfortable. I would assume it will sell on the first bid. Use lots of pictures and check carefully for edge chips. Any damage to the mold or decoration would substantially affect the price.

You have a lovely piece. Thanks for sharing it and it my pleasure to help you.
    Don

Aquitaine and tyeldom3 like this.
  11. tyeldom3

Don, I truly appreciate all your help with this. Your advice is wonderful.
    My son came over today with a wire cutter but the wire on this is so thick....more like a wire clothing hanger or even thicker, And the cutter wasn't heavy duty enough to cut it:( so he will bring a different one next week. I hope I can get that darn thing off safely!!
    Great big thanks again Don.:)

12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Very pretty cake plate! That wire looks home made. Darn those things! That's just asking for a chip or at the very least, a major rub mark or rust.

I've found recently in attempting to sell RSP that the item's mark affects the price as well. Even though you can state the mold number and the piece is clearly RSP, without a mark, people tend not to buy as much. Doesn't make sense.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  13. tyeldom3

Thank you so much Pam, your help is much appreciated!:) Uggg, I still have not found a proper tool to try and remove the darn plate hanger thing!!!
    Thanks for the tip about the marks (or lack there of) that makes perfect sense!!

Draft saved Draft deleted