Featured Pretty Ring but is it Silver? Platinum? Possibly Diamonds?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kasemi, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Kasemi

Kasemi Well-Known Member

Hey guys! Just wanted to show you this ring that I purchased as "gold/silver ring with marcasites". I do not believe those a marcasites at all. They look like rose cut diamonds or possibly white sapphires to me. The space they are set in is closed as well. Maybe foiled? As for the metal, it does look like silver but it also bubbles heavily when put into hydrogen peroxide, which would indicate that it is platinum. (I cleaned the ring prior to testing of course). Any thoughts on age of the ring? There are no hallmarks or anything on it either. I have only seen art deco mixed-metal rings that were 9k or 18k gold and were paired with platinum. Did they commonly pair gold with silver as well? Either way its quite lovely and I got it for a great price.
    PXL_20211127_210839705.jpg PXL_20211127_212434305.jpg PXL_20211127_210645472.jpg PXL_20211128_002821518.jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Silver reacts in hydrogen peroxide,platinum doesn't.

3. Kasemi

Kasemi Well-Known Member

Huh, I am not a chemistry buff, but I am pretty sure platinum (and other metals from the platinum group) act as a catalyst to decompose hydrogen peroxide :eek:. Before testing this ring, I also tested one of my platinum rings and one of my 925 silver rings to see the reactions first, and the platinum ring bubbled and the silver ring did nothing. But that was just my observations

kyratango likes this.
  4. Hollyblue

I just looked it up silver and platinum bubble in hydrogen peroxide,so it is not a reliable test.

Gus Tuason and Kasemi like this.
  5. Kasemi

Kasemi Well-Known Member

yeah I know, but from what I understand platinum reacts quicker. Its iffy because it does look like silver to me too and I will probably acid test it to be sure. What do you think of the stones though?

6. Hollyblue

Impossible to tell what the stones are from a photo,quartz,zircon,topaz,sapphire,etc............... I've put platinum into acid and it doesn't etch,but silver does.

reader and singing like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

1935........ imo

8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It looks like a gold shank with silver top, quite common in late 19th century / early 20th century rings. From the cuts I suspect the stones are probably diamonds. I commonly see this kind of ring in the UK, when marked they are usually c1890-1930.

Kasemi, reader, Gus Tuason and 2 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.

reader and Ce BCA like this.
  10. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

They do look like diamonds. Are the undersides of the stones open in their settings?

11. Kasemi

Kasemi Well-Known Member

No, the area is closed up under the stones

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm with 30s diamond chips in silver, gold back. And yes, often seen here.

Gus Tuason likes this.
  13. Kasemi

Kasemi Well-Known Member

Thanks, all.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted