Primitive Stoneware Salt Glaze Crock Info Needed...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by cpk, Mar 8, 2015.

1. cpk

cpk Member

saltglazecrock.jpg saltglazecrock2.jpg saltglazecrock3.jpg Can anyone tell me any info on this 6 gallon salt glaze stoneware crock?

Measures approx. 18" tall x 10 1/2 " ( from handle to handle)

Maker ?

Area it is from ?

Value?

Or any information would be appreciated

thank you

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

If you click on "full image" the pictures will appear large size in the post so folks don't have to click on each image separately. Makes it easier to look at details.

saltglazecrock.jpg

3. cpk

cpk Member

Thanks for the tip!

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I always email Crockerfarms. They have always answered quickly and really quite knowledgable. I am glad you found us. I saw your post on ebay and said to myself you should come here.
    greg

*crs* likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is it me, or does the flower look like new paint that was applied as a decoration.
    I always thought the blue should be underglaze.

These people come highly recommended.

http://www.crockerfarm.com/

7. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Glad you made it. Hope you find your answers!

8. cpk

cpk Member

No, the flower decoration is original.
    We had this for a loooooong time.
    Thanks for the info.

9. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

WOW....

Awesome piece.
    It is very early, possibly 18th. century though I'm thinking more circa 1820.
    The blue decoration combined with sgraffito (scratched in) is rarely found beyond the first quarter of the 19th. century. The stylized 6 (gal.) is bizarre for the time too.
    Locale? Maybe New York City. Just an educated guess. Somewhere mid-Atlantic region anyway. Pa. maybe.
    An expert may be able to ID the very maker based on the flower alone. Not me.
    Crocker is an excellent suggestion. Absolute leaders in this field. If anybody can ID the maker via the flower they can.

There was a time, had this been mine, I'd have been asking probably $15'-1700 for this. Even today there are still advanced collectors willing to step up to the plate for exceptional pieces. Condition looks outstanding in the photos.

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If you contact Crocker Farm, please come back and give us an update.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think Crolius did some flowers somewhat similar but I don't know about yours. Just thought I'd throw that out there as a research possibility. It's a great looking old pot.

12. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Yep, Crocker Farm. I have shipped a few things to them and have done well!

Kath

13. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

Oh I should mention Crocker Farm has an auction this weekend. If they give you any value appraisal, you might want to consider waiting for their next auction.

Kath

14. cpk

cpk Member

Thanks for the responses I will write Crockerfarm.

gregsglass likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted