Printers Association and Fine arts

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by helen ambrose, Apr 16, 2019.

1. helen ambrose

helen ambrose New Member

I am interested in collection art but do not have much experience and just learning. It would would be nice to liaise with other similar to myself about antiques and history.

2. helen ambrose

helen ambrose New Member

I have always looked towards google for questions but would be nice to chat with people who have first hand experience with antiques.

3. helen ambrose

helen ambrose New Member

Would anyone know about printers association oval mark. Inside letters L Z on an etching by W H Boucher of 'The Butlers Glass' by W. Dendy? Published by L H Lefevre 1893 I am not sure of the relevance of L Z.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Helen. We're going to need to see what you are describing, but it would be better to start a separate thread for it in the forum for art. :)

5. helen ambrose

helen ambrose New Member

Thank you I will just work out how to do that :)

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Great - we love seeing new things & having new puzzles. First time posters often have difficulty with photos. The file has to be under 1 MB. If you are using a phone as your camera, you may need to check out the tips for putting up pix in the general info section.

7. helen ambrose

helen ambrose New Member

Thank you , I do have photos on my phone. I will check the tips and go from there.
    :)

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Welcome. :)

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Helen !!! ... Joy. :)

judy and i need help like this.
  12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Found this from a magazine called "The Athenaeum" published in 1893 (but perhaps you already know it). It really doesn't add much.:
    z0.jpg

Look very, very closely at the print. Is it printed on tissue that has been laid down inside a plate mark?

Here's a story that doesn't do anybody much good: Decades ago, I had an engraving that I destroyed trying to fix it. It turned out to be tissue applied as just described. As I recall, it was a sentimental Victorian image... child-with-puppy type of thing, very nicely presented. I recall it having a blind stamp. Might have said printer's association (or anything similar). I was told at the time that it was a company that produced prints on a subscription basis, a sort of print-of-the-month club.

All this is very old, half-remembered and vague, but it might give a direction in which to look.

i need help likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Helen.
    And we would love to liaise with you. Many of us have friends and family who don't understand our passion for antiques and need to research their history. Here we find new friends who do.:)

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted