Featured Probably my best items of all time: post 2 of 4

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Mar 16, 2020.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the warm comments on my first post. Here comes the second one! I was able to finish polishing this one last night (still a little bit of work to be done on stubborn tarnish spots). This took some work to get polished. The entirety of the top was a dark yellow (not a tarnish yellow, more of a sticky yellow) and I think this is what happened:

I think this item spent a good portion of it's life stored near or above the stove/oven. I'm sure everyone here has dealt with this before when something gets a coating of kitchen grease on it from being around the stove. Well multiple that by a few decades and a thick stubborn crust formed on it that took some time and patience to remove.

On to the details. Item number 2 of 4 below is an aquatic themed Italian coin silver tray edit: not coin silver: 800 fineness ;) with fish/dolphins on the handles (don't judge me, are these dolphins??). This tray measures 28" from handle to handle, and 16 1/2" width. The tray is marked 800 in the center, and has an additional mark of 800 with a star, a 23 and AL on the back edge. Total weight of the tray is 6 pounds. I hope you enjoy this one, and remember there's still two more to go!

IMG_4794.JPG IMG_4795.JPG IMG_4796.JPG IMG_4797.JPG IMG_4798.JPG IMG_4799.JPG IMG_4800.JPG IMG_4801.JPG IMG_4802.JPG IMG_4805.JPG

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Figtree3, aaroncab, stracci and 13 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very nice, Nate and a good job on the polishing. One thing to say, though, is that Italian silver of .800 fineness is not called "coin." Coin is a US term, not normally applicable to other countries. The fineness number is what it's called - 800 silver in this case.

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Oh, my, Nate! That is lovely! VERY nice job on cleaning it up, too!

kyratango, Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  4. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Right, Bakers!

And isn't "coin" 900 fineness, anyway?

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Yes, that is also true. ;)

6. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It looks LOVELY Nate .. as your polished items always do .. VERY nice indeed !!! .. Joy. :):):)

Houseful, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

VERY nice, Nate!!! LOVING the Dolphin handles!!!!!:happy::happy:

kyratango, Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I've found a good blob of cream hand cleaner will take care of most grease laden items - it will get the majority of it off ..also, on metals like this, paint remover can get the muck off efficiently too.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Jeepers...... Mr N8.......if you're saving the best for last.........we may be too blown away by then !!!!:eek::eek::eek::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Houseful, Figtree3, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  10. Red6

Red6 Member

Made by I.M.A di Guercia & Co Alessandria Italy active 1935-1971.

Figtree3, aaroncab and cxgirl like this.
  11. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Hey Nate, really enjoying your posts. If you get a chance, could you show us some before polishing pics on these posts also? Trying to develop an "eye" for what to look closer at when we are out "hunting".

komokwa and cxgirl like this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, that is what I was thinking too komokwa:)
    Looks fabulous with all your hard work to clean and polish Mr Nate! Can't wait to see the next 2 pieces:)

komokwa likes this.
  13. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Amazing! I'm so jealous

MrNate likes this.
  14. komokwa

you mean envious....not jealous.....you're to nice to be jealous..!! :happy::happy::happy:

stracci and MrNate like this.
  15. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you cxgirl (and komokwa) and yes, always save the best for last!

komokwa likes this.
  16. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Absolutely, I'll provide a bit more thoughts after the fourth item is revealed. Sometimes it can feel like these are super obvious to spot, but I didn't find them super obvious, in fact I thought there was a good chance I would show up and everything would be plated. For this group, I didn't get any additional information, I didn't have marks to work off of, so I had to trust my intuition, and find whatever clues I could to make a determination. I'll talk about that more later on. The seder plate was the key to deciding to make this purchase blindly, and even that was still a gamble but clearly one that turned out correct. Here's two photos of the first two items pre-polish:

IMG_4807.jpg IMG_4806.jpg

Houseful, Figtree3, stracci and 2 others like this.
  17. komokwa

The Silver King strikes again !!!!! :):):)

stracci and MrNate like this.
  18. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Thanks N8, that's gr8!

komokwa and MrNate like this.
  19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Gorgeous! Thank you --

komokwa and MrNate like this.
  20. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Beautiful handles. Nicely done! I saw one of the other posts. My question is, was the home ridiculously luxurious? Had they been inherited from the luxurious people and now residing in a normal home? Were the owners Italian?

MrNate likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted