Featured (Probably Not Antique) Ginger Jar - Origin?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rook, May 25, 2019.

1. Rook

Rook New Member

I bought this (along with two pieces of Talavera pottery and a 10+ pound box of buttons) from a woman for $10, but I'm having a hard time figuring out anything about it. The style looks Chinese - I've found a few "Japanese porcelain hand painted in Hong Kong" ginger jars that have nearly identical artwork. The marks are different, though. The marks on the bottoms of those jars seem to be all circles with clearly legible words. The mark on the bottom of the one I have is rectangular and difficult to make out. I honestly can't even figure out which way is up (though I assume it's supposed to be vertical).

I'm, like, nearly 100% sure that this isn't an antique, but not being able to find any stamps that even resemble it is really bothering me. Do you guys have any advice? Places to look?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

judy, i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

Have you tried this site?

http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturyjapan.shtml

Also a clear close up of the mark might be helpful. This is an international site & we do have some folks who can read the Asian marks.

There are also some members who would lave to visually paw through the 10 pounds of buttons if you know what I mean. ;):D:D:D

judy and i need help like this.
  3. Rook

Rook New Member

I did try that site and didn't have much luck, but I'll check it out again! I'll have to take a closeup of the mark a little later.

I'll also take and post photos of the buttons once I finally get around to them! There are so many. And she was a heavy smoker, so they all stunk when I got them. I've been slowly getting the smell out and I think this last round with dryer sheets is going to do the trick (for most - the fabric ones I'm still not sure about). The ones I could dunk in a water/alcohol soak cleaned up really fast, but the others (fabric, metal, unknown materials) that I didn't want to dunk are taking longer. I had no idea this site existed but I'm so happy to have found it - there are some that were labeled "military" and, judging from the makers, they are, but I'm having trouble figuring the age of some of them. Probably not OLD, but oldish. I'll definitely be back with the buttons!

judy and i need help like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

May I suggest that you try the opposite orientation for the seal mark? As it is, it looks suspicious to me anyway, but trying it the other way up may reveal something.

5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I said this about another piece someone else posted not too long ago, and I think it may apply to your piece, too:

I honestly DON'T know, but this reminds me of some of the "Hand Painted in Macau" pieces that were in specialty shops & import stores in the late 1980's/early 1990's.

judy, anundverkaufen and i need help like this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

If you do post some photos of the buttons you should start a new thread in either the antique section or the textile section.

If you continue to have problems with the smell with some of the buttons you can ask for help on that also. The members on this forum have collectively dealt with just about any situation you can come up against.

judy likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hey Rook...u have a lovely hand.....BUT...please always include the measurements with your items....
    help us, to help you..! :):):)

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted