Probably resin but maybe clay detailed Aztec calendar

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Kevolee, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I am pretty sure this is small Aztec/Mayan calendar wall plaque is made of resin but at first I thought it was clay. The detail is very good and I am wondering what the process for impressing the image would be? Also there are gold flakes that seem to turn purple when rubbed or scratched and I have no idea what that is about. It measures around 4.75" in diameter. Any help or ideas will be appreciated. IMG_3091.JPG IMG_3092.JPG IMG_3093.JPG IMG_3094.JPG IMG_3095.JPG IMG_3096.JPG IMG_3099.JPG IMG_3100.JPG

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks like Resin to me. No idea what the added flakes are?

anundverkaufen likes this.
  3. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Thanks, I did find several similar resin examples with gold or bronze finish so this may have originally had something like that, but these really look like individual flakes.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think yours is meant to mimic jade, also used by these cultures.

Draft saved Draft deleted