Proscholium to the Divinity School.

Discussion in 'Art' started by spirit-of-shiloh, Jan 13, 2015.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

When I view the prints for sale onlie,none have a student in red? Does anyone know why mine is different? Thanks for any info. The print measures 6 1/2" x 4 1/2" inside the mat. On the back is a British price. Could it be the price charged to frame this? DSCN2234.JPG
    DSCN2232.JPG
    DSCN2247.JPG

2. Alec Sutton

Alec Sutton Active Member

The engraving was originally printed in black ink only. Someone apparently hand colored the figure in your example.

The price seems right for the framed engraving in a shop in fairly recent years.

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

These prints were given to each grad at commencement. Anyone who had an outstanding student loan got the redgown version, but could exchange it for blackgown as soon as the loan was repaid.

oh, just anudder fractured fairy tale from Spring

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Shiloh,
    When I first glanced at it I thought it was an Edward Gorey print!!!!!!!
    greg

5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Thank you, Greg. As soon as I opened the thread I thought Gorey. Of course, living a couple of towns over from his home, we go there a lot and the Cape is filled with Gorey images.

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bev,
    I have been a fan of Gorey ever since I could remember. The story of the ugly baby used to bring me to my knees. Then I found a poster of the Gastlycrumb tinies. That was on my bathroom wall for years. It is a good thing that I do not live near his home. I would never get anything done.
    greg

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It's the coolest museum on the Cape. You can Google it. We have a bunch of signed books because he used to autograph them at the Brewster Book Store. Parnassus Books in Yarmouth has the best collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted