Protective cover for old desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by ScottR, May 18, 2022.

1. ScottR

ScottR New Member

I just gave my nephew my grandfather's Drexel Heritage desk. I don't know exactly how old it is, but it's probably from the 1940s, if not earlier. Before doing so I had a restorer do a light restoration job--basically sanding and refinishing--the desk was in pretty good shape, aside from a lightly spiderwebbed finish (visible very close up).

He's going to use it as a work desk (i.e. monitor and keyboard), but would like something that would protect the top. Any suggestions, especially to avoid color changes from light/dark differences from parts being covered? A good blotter was the only thing I could think of, though in the long term that would still result in a relative lightening of the uncovered portions, which might be better than nothing.

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WELCOME! Do you have an image you could post? This site LIVEs by pictures, which always helps!!! Would it possibly resemble this one by any chance which was posted on ebay? Just showing for an example, that's all! There are many coatings that can be applied to protect the top, but there are also many other members that can help better than I can.....please wait for them to come along!!!

s-l1600.jpg

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  3. ScottR

ScottR New Member

I had the furniture restorer send it right to my nephew's house, so the only current picture is what he sent me when it was delivered.

I'm not looking for a coating (it was just refinished) but for a cover of some sort. Something non-permanent to protect the desk from daily usage. I texted him back to tell him to move it away from the baseboard.

desk.jpg

Born2it and Aquitaine like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a sheet of acrylic..
    and one on there floor ...for the chair legs..

Aquitaine and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

In the good old days the go-to option was a thick glass, but I don't think it is necessary after the recent refinish.

6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

How about a good old fashioned desk blotter?

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

In the UK, you can buy fabric dining table protectors. I'd go for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted