Publication Date of Verne Novel

Discussion in 'Books' started by CassandraInWonderland, Apr 6, 2020.

1. I recently acquired a copy of Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and I can't find a publication date anywhere in my copy. It has a red cover with long stemmed black and green flowers and a black cameo in the center of the front cover surrounded by a black and green circle. The outside binding also has a long stemmed black and green flower. The only information I can get is that it was published in Chicago by the W.B. Conkey Company. In the back, there's an advertisement for Ella Wheeler Wilcox's books, "The Poetical and Prose Works of Ella Wheeler Wilcox" and that they're advertised for $1.00-$2.00.
    Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Photographs please.

Debora

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and Fid like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From a quick internet search, I find that "The Poetical and Prose Works of Ella Wheeler Wilcox" were advertised around the turn of the century (1897-1912) so your book will likely date to then. Here's information on the publisher and, from your description, your volume may be part of this series. And fyi, generally later reprints by low end publishers have little commercial value even with they're old.

Debora

01_large.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted