Pueblo figure or South American?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Raji, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Raji

Raji Member

Optimized-20180314_183407.jpg Optimized-20180314_183345.jpg

Any info I can get on this piece is appreciated. About 8 inches tall. no markings.

Thanks.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-3-10_3-25-40.jpeg upload_2020-3-10_3-26-48.jpeg Jemez or Tesuque.

i need help, Raji, patd8643 and 3 others like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Pueblo, as komokwa says. Google "Tesuque Rain God" and you will find many.
    See also:
    Duane Anderson: When Rain Gods Reigned: From Curios to Art at Tesuque Pueblo. Museum of New Mexico Press, 2002. ISBN 0890134057

4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

Komo? You look so relaxed? Did you gets highlights in your hair?

komokwa and Bev aka thelmasstuff like this.
  5. Raji

Raji Member

Thanks komokwa, 2manybooks.
    The price range is all over the place, unless it can be authenticated.
    what is the best way to go about this?

komokwa and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Raji

Raji Member

thank you for the info about the book. Amazing to know the passion and dedication out there!

2manybooks and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Oh, it's authentic......but 50 years old or 100 years ..... maybe a gallery or museum can tell you.!

Raji likes this.
  8. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Rain gods are one of the things I collect. When I started buying them in the 1980s/1990s my rule was never to spend more than $20 for one, and when I could find them, that wasn't an unusual price. Then the book came out, plus eBay, and prices, and interest, increased dramatically.

I have seldom seen them for under $100, since.

If yours is poster paint over a cream slip, which it appears to be from the photo, it dates to ca. 1925 or so, but a few Tesuque potters continued to produce them even after interest fell off in the 1930s-1960s. They started making terra-cotta slipped rain gods in the 1960s.

There are a few potters (some from other pueblos, especially Jemez) still making rain gods today, but the advent of the storyteller dolls in the 1960s really decreased interest in the souvenir market for the rain gods.

9. Raji

Raji Member

Thank you Taupou!
    This forum has taught me so much in the last few weeks I have joined

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted