Featured puente arzobispo toledo ...ACR ... who is ACR?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Touchdry, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Touchdry

Touchdry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This botijo keeps looking at me in this junkshop. So I've taken some shots to see if any of you can shed light on it.

Google is very confusing - it seems I can get one of these for between 20 euros and 222 euros!!

I know it has something to do with age - so I have been looking for ACR. Would that be the initials of a potter ... or a pottery? There are no ACR's in the yellow pages - so I guess it has some age ... perhaps going back to the 70's - or further? So, which is it? Can any of you give me a hint to its age by looking at the pics and perhaps by looking at the markings. According to the seller of the 222 euro botijo it goes back before 1950. That's all I can get. This style of decoration seems to go way back - so I look forward to hearing from you ... and no, I am not expecting it to be 18th century or something.

Just in case any of you cannot read the marks - they are:
    PUENTE
    ACR
    ARZOBISPO
    (TOLEDO)

Thanks for all of your encouraging words ...

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely, Touchdry.
    Do you have the yellow pages for El Puente del Arzobispo?:jawdrop:

ACR could be a potter for a ceramics studio in the small town of El Puente del Arzobispo in the province of Toledo in Spain. It could be difficult to find out who, and I don't think knowing would add much to the value. The name of the town is good, even without knowing an individual craftsperson.
    El Puente is close to Talavera, a more famous Spanish ceramics centre.

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Touchdry

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's an ACR plate. But different logo. First half of 20th century according to seller.

Debora

2c356dd41dfd1f2e048585f3712c9b8d--plato-prehistoric.jpg 56698547_32431889.jpg

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

More of their pieces. Different logo. No date estimate.

Debora

40032082.jpg
    40032082_17193530.jpg

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And, finally, here is your logo. A souvenir ash tray. I would think it dated to the era of mass tourism.

Debora

s-l1600.jpg
    s-l16004.jpg

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ha! Think this is the fabrica. ACR = Agustín de la Cal Rubio.

The following excerpt comes from this source:

https://fromspain.com/about-our-artists/ceramica-de-la-cal/

"The De La Cal family is now the fifth generation dedicated to crafting fine quality ceramics. Their ceramic workshop is located in Puente del Arzobispo, a small town in the Province of Toledo, Spain. The De la Cal family uses natural clay from the banks of the Tajo river, which conveniently runs alongside their village. The clay is cleaned of all impurities and then mixed with water for the perfect consistency. Juan Diego is the designated sculptor and is a master at the potter´s wheel. He carefully shapes each ceramic piece and allows it to slowly dry in the Spanish sun before placing it into the oven at 1100 degrees celsius. Afterwards, the ceramic is passed through a paint bath producing a glazed background perfect for painting on. Ana Belen de la Cal and approximately four other artisans then individually hand paint each ceramic piece before it is baked for the last time. No two pieces will be exactly the same due to their handmade nature, yet all are hand signed by the individual artist who painted it. The De la Cal family is recognized throughout Spain and has won several international awards for their ceramic mastery."

Debora

patd8643, dgbjwc, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  8. Touchdry

WOW ... thanks Deborah! I have read so many things about people searching for the meaning of ACR - but none of them (including myself!) were able to come up with the answer ... - now we have it - thank you! I can now up the value of this piece of tourism by ... at least 10 euros!! No, seriously, thank you for that info.

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted