pure irish linen framed picture help

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by charlie cheswick, Jul 8, 2020.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

can anyone shed any light on the linen picture, bought years ago

not sure if it would be considered art or a dishcloth :), what would you call it ?

made for moores of dunstable in bedfordshire

it was dead cheap, thought i could remove from frame and sell rolled, but its glued on a board inside

1970s ?, Hand made ?

measures 20" by 30 "

do you think of any interest or for the junk pile

quite like the design though

any thought appreciated

a1.jpg a2.jpg a3.jpg a4.jpg a5.jpg a8.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's a souvenir tea towel. The value depends on the shape it's in, and who's after one from that location. The Brits sold/sell a gazillion of the things from just about everywhere for just about any occasion one might want a souvenir from.

3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Evelyb is correct, we did/do love making these. I’ve got lots picked up from jumbles etc. The linen ones are usually better quality than the just plain cotton ones.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  4. charlie cheswick

Ahh, I see what you mean evey, thanks

They were made to sell at the shop, not for hanging up at the shop :facepalm:

No one gonna fork out for the postage for something like this

So a binner it is :smug:

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I use those for cooling cloths for making cookies. They also make good glass towels, so if it can come out of the frame it's a useful beastie. If it's stuck in there, sit 'er out on the front steps and put a Free notice on FB or a Craigslist equivalent. If no one comes and hauls off, then bin it.

6. charlie cheswick

Yeah it's a tea towel again now, not art :D

It was only glued a bit around the edges, so now it takes up a way lot less space

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted