Featured Put your clothes on girl or you’ll catch a cold.

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Miscstuff, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

And she is a big girl at 63cm high and 3.2kg. The art connoisseurs at the auction seemed to be put off by the clash between organs and the swirly grain in the coromandel wood so picked her up for AU$29. Personally I like the swirly bits.:bag: The base has no marks and shows the wood drying out a little and I would guess she dates from around the 1970s-80s from Bali/Indonesia. Don't think she's art deco enough to go in the @Any Jewelry Bali Art Deco thread though.:(

Cheers

Stephen

1s.jpg 2s.jpg 3s.jpg 4s.jpg 5s.jpg

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

What a steal! Nice piece!

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yikes -- Beautiful wood and finish - but I always am worried about things like that coming to life and walking down the hallway to get me - OK, I did watch way to many horror movies when I was a kid! :)

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

She is lovely, and a bargain. The nicely used swirly bits are in keeping with the Western curiosity about the relaxed SE Asian attitude towards displaying sensuality in art and crafts. Tourists love this.
    You're right, I'd guess 80s. And right again, this doesn't qualify as Bali Art Deco, but it is a descendant of the style.
    I have been meaning to post some more in the Deco thread. Hope to do it soon.:)

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Beautiful grain!

6. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

Why does this thread make me feel like there's a "That's what she said" joke after every comment? :muted::playful:

Rayo56 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted