Qianlong Vase : Fake or Original

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bill Giles, May 10, 2020.

1. Bill Giles

Bill Giles Member

Hi

I am new to the antique market and recently sold an antique vase on eBay for a fixed price and which was then put straight back on eBay and re-sold by the buyer under bid for more than 25 times what he paid for it from me.
    A couple of days ago I bid successfully on a similar vase but the mark on the base of the new vase was slightly different.
    I have attached the images on the base of both vases for an opinion as to whether the 2nd image is a fake or original as per the 1st image
    Would greatly appreciate any feedback and advice as I am still learning
    Thanks
    Bill

Attached Files:

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

That’s tough sorry to hear that. I’ve undersold things but not to that extent, (as far as I know). Someone will be along to help but you could look at the Gotheborg site to check your marks. To me your sold vase looks newer than the bought one BWDIK. It often helps if people can see the whole vases though.

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Hi @Bill Giles, welcome

Pleas use the little "picture" icon to upload images, and select "all full size" option to load images directly into your thread.

Much easier to compare and scroll through :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ahh well.........

're-sold by the buyer under bid for more than 25 times what he paid for it'

There are 50 good reasons for that......

'I bid successfully on a similar vase'

Trying to make up for what you thought was a mistake.....by making another mistake ??

You clearly don't know this area of collecting well enuf to be buying other vases in an attempt to regain the money you thought you lost !
    There's an old saying " your 1st loss is your best loss ! "
    You should have learned from the 1st sale, to up your knowledge in this area before striking out and buying something you're not sure of.....:sorry::sorry::sorry::oops::oops::oops:

popsycat, kyratango and aaroncab like this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

The mark is only one aspect of judging the authenticity of a piece. There is SO much to know about antique chinese porcelain beyond just a superficial recognition of the marks. A "good" looking mark can be on a piece made much later than the period, simply as an "honorary" mark.

That being said - the second mark you posted looks rubber stamped, to me, and probably not of the actual qianlong period. The first mark looks hand drawn, but the glaze looks so shiny, I suspect it's not "of the period" either. That doesn't mean that either piece isn't valuable per se, a piece of high craftmanship can be valuable no matter the age. Without detailed pictures of the entire items, from multiple angles, no one here will be able to tell you with ANY degree of certainty what you MIGHT have purchased. Without seeing it in person ( and being an EXPERT in the field) no one can tell you FOR SURE what you have.

EDIT - for the purposes of selling on Ebay - if you are not sure what you have, you can always list it in auction, starting price being what you would have listed it for as a fixed price item - and list it as such - "unsure of age" and let the buyers/bidders decide what it's worth.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-5-10_16-37-9.jpeg

Many years ago I listed a carving similar to this one, on eBay...for auction, starting at $29.99 with a reserve of $125.
    It made $ 835..............:jawdrop:
    It was not then, nor will it ever be worth that much money....!

So unless we see your vase that re-sold for 25 x your sale price, and can tell it was actually worth that much......and not just the seller putting out a false description.....& two guys fighting over it ........... we'll never know if it was anything good to begin with !! & neither will you !

7. Bill Giles

Bill Giles Member

First of all, I would like to thank everybody who responded to my original question. I did not buy the 2nd vase as a way to recuperate my potential loss of earnings, it was simply to ask if there was a way to identify original or fake Qianlong markings. It has taught me a lesson only to put items up on eBay under bid if you personally do not know the potential value. I have already started using this option with beneficial results. I have also started using the Gotheburg site which was recommended and next time will use the 'little picture' icon for all future photo uploads. Thanks again

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted