Quaker lace square thing

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by blooey, Oct 23, 2019.

1. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Just popped out for a minute to drop by the local second-hand store up the block from where I live. Saw this lace piece, not something I would usually buy, but at $10 I thought it was a good deal as it looked interesting, was in mint shape and maybe a bit older. It's the signing of the declaration of Independence - and - from a quick google I see it was made by Quaker lace.

Not sure when it was produced and I see one sold at auction but I don't have an account so I can't see how much ...:mad:
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0007/lot-39ab8069-4a6a-41d1-a69e-a4a000f93bb4

anyway here it is, any info gratefully received!

1776.jpg

moreotherstuff and scoutshouse like this.
  2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Christmasjoy, judy and blooey like this.
  3. Jivvy

In case it needs mentioning, everything made by the Quaker Lace Company is machine-made lace.

The tablecloths sometimes have a hot moment, but I'm not sure of the current temperature.

I know that in the 1960s they were the cheap sturdy option for middle income homes to have a lace tablecloth -- because it's what I group up with. :joyful:

judy, scoutshouse and blooey like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is Blooey's "panel" tablecloth sized? I haven't seen dimensions yet.

5. Jivvy

Oh, I don't think so. I was just mentioning the tablecloths have had moments of desirability for retro decor.

*checking* The one on liveauctioneers is 21" x 21" (53cm X 53 cm)

6. Jivvy

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Okay. I didn't think it looked that large either, but I've been mislead by a few other pictures lately and wanted to make sure.

scoutshouse and blooey like this.
  8. Jivvy

Christmasjoy, scoutshouse and blooey like this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

10. Jivvy

11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Looks like it's an English piece, not a US thing - interesting. The one I have is like new, probably kept in a drawer somewhere forever. Oh well another curiosity:)

Sorry forgot to post the size, 20-1/2" square.

With the Native Americans portrayed like that, I think it goes back a bit:jawdrop: - so maybe it is from the 20's - 1926 would have been the 150th anniversary.

Thanks for all the help all!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  13. Jivvy

But still free. :)

scoutshouse likes this.
  14. Jivvy

This one suggests the pattern was still being made fairly recently (ignore the "description" -- seller obviously ran into a "cut&paste"/copied listing error:

https://www.ebay.com/i/193146413343 temp07.jpg

Christmasjoy and blooey like this.
  15. Jivvy

Oh, meant to mention, I did find a William Thomas Brammer who was a "brass bobbin maker" at a lace factory, but, as best I can tell with a very cursory look, he died before 1926.

Christmasjoy and blooey like this.
  16. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Interesting - maybe it was re-issued for the bicentennial? Can't see it having much commercial traction, but who knows!
    Thanks @Jivvy

Draft saved Draft deleted