Quarter Sawn Oak Table Questions

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by stolenchyld, May 7, 2020.

1. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

Hello! I recently purchased this table (it’s around 29 inches high and 28-30 long/wide) and have some questions, and you all have been so helpful in the past. I’m curious about what the style and age are. I’ve never had anything in quarter sawn oak before - could this be veneer? I don’t see any seams and the undersides look like unfinished quarter sawn oak. The beading is coming off in a couple places so I’m guessing it’s glued. The feet are in poor shape. There are spots on the top (but mostly the bottom tier and the legs) that have a crackled/alligator skin appearance- could that be shellac or another coating? Any parts of the table that are “crackled” feel very plastic-y to me. Thanks so much for any information you can give me!

2. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

3. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

Sorry for the gazillion photos! C789ED87-7E86-4A3D-B715-F8AFC02F2AD1.jpeg

Michael77 and Bakersgma like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

don't be............they help us , to help you !!!!!

( & we appreciate them ! )

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Time period 1880s to WWI
    American Oak is how this is usually described.
    The beading is glued on decoration.
    The grizzling (not sure that is technically correct term) is from age, heat and indicates your table has not been refinished.

@verybrad @Ghopper1924 and this is too new for @James Conrad but he might have comments.

6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I think it's from the "golden age of oak" and @clutteredcloset49 is correct on date, is American, and built from solid quarter sawn oak with the exception of apron which is probably veneer. The finish appears original, at least on feet.
    Very nice example from that period in good condition, you did well!:singing:

7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Would say that its from later in that time period rather than earlier, i.e. 1900-1915. Solid, quarter sawn oak for the most part. The crackling is just old finish. This would be a good candidate for a rejuvenated finish or even a refinish.

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Old varnish will alligator when exposed to temperature extremes. Looks like someone has already worked on this a bit but did not pay much attention to the feet.

9. Antiquefan

Antiquefan Member

My guess on date is 1900- 1920 later time period as the beading looks exactly like an add on I have seen on 1930's furniture.

The finish (on the legs) looks like it was left in a cold basement or similar type placement and lived through hot and cold seasons creating the crackling like finish as mentioned above. I have a 1942 Gibson acoustic guitar that was left in an unheated attic in West Virginia, with no case, for some 50 plus years and has that finish on the top. It is ugly as the day is long but is so dry and cured it has the voice of the choir of angels from on high!

Yours does not look ugly like my guitar, your table is beautiful, I have several mission oak pieces of furniture and love the look!

10. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

The table looks lovely...great find!

As for Antiquefan's Gibson, have you posted photos of it anywhere here on the forum? I'd love to see what the guitar looks like.

Michael77 and stolenchyld like this.
  11. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

Thank you, EVERYONE! This is all so helpful. Like most furniture I’ve purchased from people, it came out of a garage, so the fact that it was probably exposed to many different temperatures is not surprising at all. I don’t sell antiques and I really don’t have a place for a table this size and am the point where I’m buying things I like (both item and price), so where do I go from here?

Michael77 likes this.
  12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Where the rest of us have gone....here!

stolenchyld likes this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Looks like it fits nicely where you have it.

To the selling platform:) Welcome to the club.

stolenchyld and James Conrad like this.
  14. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I don't sell either, I must be missing out on all of the club activities. :(

Last edited: May 9, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted