QUEEN ON THE "THRONE"? ARTIST KNOWN?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 13, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me who the artist is of this piece? It looks like a royal family member with constipation to be honest - even the cat looks grumpy!

I see Joseph Turbolente? but nothing comes up.

Thanks for any help.

AA ART PRINT A QUENN ON A STOOL 1AA_AA RESIZED.jpg AA ART PRINT A QUENN ON A STOOL 3AA.jpg

2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like any Royal family member I've ever seen !!! ... Joy.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

In a general Google search I'm getting some genealogical "hits" for somebody named Joseph Turbolente who was born 1909 and died 1974 in New York. From what I'm seeing I can't tell whether he was an artist, though. At least the name exists in the right time period. Will do more looking.

EDIT: Here's a patent given in 1953 to Joseph Turbolente of Richmond Hill, New York. The patent was for "Masking Method and Composition for Producing Color Paintings."
    https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/ba/a9/ca/d2c74a44e9a244/US2849331.pdf

Any Jewelry, aaroncab and i need help like this.
  4. Figtree3

I found him in the 1940 U.S. census and it says he was a "commercial sign painter." So, really not sure if this is the same person but could possibly be.

aaroncab and i need help like this.
  5. journeymagazine

Well he was in the general business, but I don't think I'm going to be retiring on this piece!
    Thank you for the help!

aaroncab and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is such a quintessentially '60s piece that hard to believe it would be by an older artist. Have you opened up the backing to see if there's any markings on the reverse?

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Well, you may not be retiring on the piece, but it's interesting!

Looks like the mat is acidic. I know you are not keeping this for yourself, but if you were -- it would be a good idea to change the mat!

And as Debora suggested, taking the backing off might reveal more. It's true that the Joseph Turbolente born in 1909 would have been 59 years old in 1968. Having no context for the piece that you have, nor of that Joseph's life and work, I can't tell whether it's plausible for it to be him or not based on his age. But I take the point that it's a possibility that the piece is too "1960s" looking for somebody who is older not to have been able to adjust their style enough to have done this work.

By the way, the patent I found was for a masking method to be used in commercial artwork, although he listed a lot of other possible ways to use it.

Any Jewelry, i need help and komokwa like this.
  8. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

I would not remove it from the frame that quick. Looks to me like it is painted on glass??? If I look at the second picture I can see many shadows of the lines onto the white background. that means that there is a space between the drawing and the paper background? maybe it is a reverse glass painting?

9. journeymagazine

I looked with a magnifying glass - I'm sure it's a print/litho

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

there is defiantly space between the drawing and the paper. you can see the shadows of the lines on the paper. Am I the only one who sees this. The shadows all face downwards because of the direction of the light.

But maybe its me. I see many things that not exist.

AA ART PRINT A QUENN ON A STOOL 3AA.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted