Question about souvenir spoons

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Frank, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

My wife and I will likely be moving within the next couple of months, so we're packing and considering downsizing. Does anyone know of a collector's forum or group for souvenir spoons?

Alternatively, are sterling souvenir spoons worth more these days as collector's items, or for melt weight? I've had them for years, but they stay wrapped up in a drawer, and I think they need a new home.

Thank you for your thoughts.
    Frank

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Depends on what the designs are.

Witches, Indians, certain place names hold more value than weight.
    Non descriptive spoons are weight only.

Old manufactures like Gorham, Reed and Barton, Tiffany, etc also hold more value.
    Enamel bowls also have more value.

3. clutteredcloset49

There are a couple of books out on Souvenir spoons. Think one was by Rainwater.

If you don't come up with a website you might want to try your library.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Show them off here. We can help.

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Depending on the spoon they can still have considerable value, and I wouldn't sell for scrap until checking (there are a number of special interest collectors, and the desirability may not be immediately apparent). I've been a collector for decades, as well as a dealer, and have quite a bit of reference material, so can probably help ID on those you have questions about.

There is a big convention scheduled in Charleston, SC this coming weekend (please note I said 'scheduled')...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I just transferred a lot of them to the scrap bucket after they failed to garner any interest on feebay.

I think at this time there are many more collections coming on the market than collectors being made.

Fid and judy like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

:)

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I see the same problem with these as with pewter, copper and certain ceramics; the next generations aren't keen on receiving them as an heirloom.
    with those spoons it's also a problem how easily we travel today. when our grandparents wanted to cross the atlantic it took money and time by ship; it was much more special to bring home a spoon of Paris or New York as it is today. so better get rid of them as long as you can.

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I still have 5 or 7 teaspoons from the 1936 Worlds Fair still wrapped in the papers and box they were mailed in. I take them out once a year to polish them. I wonder if they have any value now. I have two 1936 Tiffany porcelain plates from the fair. Come to think about it I have three plates made at the fair by Homer Laughlin In all i have about fifteen pieces from the Fair. Have not thought of them in years. I guess I should look them up.
    greg

KSW and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted