Question about "stones," adjustable ring in VTG costume jewelry

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by northernridge, Jul 19, 2014.

1. northernridge

northernridge Active Member

There were three ladies rings in that gentleman's jewelry box. The first (an eye-catcher) was also adjustable, with a fat emerald green cabochon that feels like acrylic.

But this one felt a bit heavier. So I clicked the turquoise colored stones against a tooth, and they feel like stone, or glass. What would they likely be?
    From the side.
    [​IMG]
    From the top. I notice that in this close-up, they look like real stones. Chips possibly? (But in costume jewelry?)
    [​IMG]
    From the back (with apologies for the imperfect focus; I wanted to show both band and inside—tough shot).
    [​IMG]
    Thank you all, as ever!

2. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

Could be aventurine or could be dyed quartz - cheers

3. northernridge

4. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

...or dyed howlite.

5. northernridge

Hi spirit! Glad to see you here too.

I looked at howlite and it does resemble it. Although what I saw seems to have more pronounced inclusions.

The other question that occurs to me is what did they use to make them all stick together?

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    There is that plastic that you heat to melt and pour. When it hardens again it glues everything together.
    greg

7. northernridge

Thank you. That makes sense.

Do you personally have an idea about what the stones are?

8. spirit-of-shiloh

Hi northern :) Yes howlite has veins but some is clear. Howlite is also dyed to mimic turquoise. I used a two part epoxy to glue my stones to the silver before I burnished the bezels to the stone for extra strength, so maybe that is a clear epoxy on that ring. Looks like a student project. The stones also look like the bag of stones you get for a fish aquarium.;)

9. sch3gsd

sch3gsd Well-Known Member

Might be apatite

10. northernridge

Apatite. Yes, thank you for that suggestion.

11. spirit-of-shiloh

12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

(But in costume jewelry?)

Don't confuse carnival prizes and gumball machine trinkets with costume jewelry

13. spirit-of-shiloh

Nothern I dug up an apatite, mine is a yellow but it comes in all colors,its a crystal so that is why I said your stones were not apatite ;) phpaLGb8WPM (1).jpg

14. northernridge

Thank you, spirit. I have an apatite too, and you're right. It's a crystal.

15. sch3gsd

sch3gsd Well-Known Member

I've seen low-quality apatite beads that are somewhat opaque like those in the OP's ring and are the same color. I agree that it's a crystal (I've got a 14K apatite ring). Since it's a costume ring, I thought low-quality apatite might be a possibility and mentioned it FWIW. Regardless of what it is the ring is, it's very pretty.

16. northernridge

Thank you. I think it's pretty too. And I appreciate all input, the more the better.

This board rocks!

17. spirit-of-shiloh

You know,I was thinking, and it usually gets me in trouble but I used to put broken turquoise and coral in bezels affixed with an epoxy and they looked like your ring. I would let the material harden, then I would grind the stones/coral flat to the bezel edge on a lapidary wheel. Maybe the maker of your ring planned that but never got around to it?

I was teaching my cousin silversmithing and she made these pieces. The truck to the right is turquoise and jet and the piece looked like yours before she used the grinding wheel.

phpQCacdfAM.jpg

18. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Can remember seeing them with other big 'fashion rings' in department stores in the late '60s-early '70s (around the same time those gravel/crushed glass mosaic wall plaques were popular) - 'semi-precious pebble' pops into my head, but not really sure if my memory is accurate there. Have also seen cufflinks and pendants...

~Cheryl

19. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

20. northernridge

Thank you both for your interesting input, dragonfly and spirit!

Draft saved Draft deleted