QUestion about two same/similar Sarreguemines urns.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Mar 4, 2021.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

OK the first three pics are from an auction that ended earlier today for $32 or something. I did not bid. This piece has the Sarreguemines mark along with incised: "E 2295" NOw: the next three pics show the very same vase (it appears) with the mark "2295" as well as the initials "KK" for the artist Victor Kramer. This one sold 2850 euros in France. I can provide links but I thought these pics would do for now. NOTE the one today has a good bit of damage but most professionally redone: one arm and one head were re attached. Both flutes have very minor damage, the tip is gone from one. And there is a ding in the bottom rim also. Even with the damage I would still think it worth at least half or more. So what is going on here? Is the second one of higher quality? 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 662477-main-5f883aca32f69.jpg 662477-5f883bebcd846.jpg 662477-alb-5f883c7373c70.jpg .

2. sunday silence

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Firstly the damage will make a much bigger dent in the price than you expect. Unless it is very rare or very old that kind of damage is going to knock of 75% or more of the price. Next is the market, the French one is in it's home market at a fancy dealer, the other is in an auction at an unrelated part of the world, items often sell best in their home. The most important point though is that the one in France isn't at auction, it's a dealer asking that much - it hasn't sold from what I can see on the website.

komokwa likes this.
  4. sunday silence

does the difference in the markings on the bottom make a difference in the value?

5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I imagine if it is for a specific designer then yes, but as this piece appears the same - ie would have been designed by the same person no matter how it is marked so I don't think it is going to make a large difference.

komokwa likes this.
  6. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I think Sarreguemines is very much a France only market. I sold a few pieces in the past and they sold well but they all went to France. Recently there have been some of their Toby Jugs on eBay for very low prices (Under £25)which would have sold for hundreds ten years ago. As already stated, the other hasn't sold yet and the price is, I think, a France only price.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted