Question on Hull I-15

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Crystalina, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

I have this awesome piece of Hull pottery (small h after 1952). I did find one on eBay, but not anywhere else. I love the lime green color. Does the "I" really mean Imperial? I am just trying to verify facts. I usually try to find at least two online to verify, but I can only find the one.
    Opening measures 8.625" x 7", base is 4.5" x 3.375" and it is 2.75" tall. It seems to pretty to be a planter...is that what it is? My measurements might be off a tad, but you get the idea. Pardon the dirtiness, I haven't cleaned it yet.

hull 1.jpg hull 2.jpg hull 3.jpg hull 4.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Are you asking about Imperial as in Imperial Glass? Was the one you found online listed that way?

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Looks like Hull to me. The color of green in the 1960s was called 'chartreuse' rather than lime, maybe you can add that to your search terms.

Debora likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

I agree, anti, definitely marked by hull. But I think Crystalina is asking about the meaning (if any) of the I in the I-15 mark.

antidiem likes this.
  5. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

Anti...thanks for the name of the color, that might help. I will try that
    Bakers....the other is listed as Hull Imperial Green I15 Garden Dish

I do want to make sure the "I" means Imperial as I don't want to be wrong in my description when I sell it. Garden dish is a confusing term to me. Does that mean planter? Seems to pretty inside to be a planter but it may be.

6. antidiem

It's a planter. I never researched the "I" on the bottom and am not familiar with the names of any particular hull line.

7. Bakersgma

I call that kind of low planter a "dish garden." This one could also hold a separate "insert" to hold a plant.

I have no idea about what Hull called their colors and really don't know where you might find such a list. At least it doesn't have any association with Imperial Glass.

Normally a shape has a code that has nothing to do with what color glaze will be used in finishing. The I is for a line not a color as far as I know.

8. Bakersgma

To support my point, I just checked a couple of my Hull planters and 1 is marked I-21. The color could not be more different than the color of yours.

9. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

Thank you so much everyone

10. crowleys

crowleys Well-Known Member

Hull Imperial Line...labeled "Modernistic Flower Dish" on a brochure page shown on p. 185 of Brenda Roberts book THE COLLECTOR'S ENCYCLOPEDIA OF hULL POTTERY. (Colors were Satin Lime, Jade Green and Satin White.)

11. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

Thank you so much!!!

12. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Bakersgma and antidiem like this.
  13. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

14. antidiem

Thanks, Crowley's and yes they called it "lime" alrighty! haha!

Draft saved Draft deleted