Question on McCoy and Hull pottery vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Crystalina, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

This may sound like a silly question, but weren't all pieces of MCM pottery vases by McCoy, Hull and other famous pottery companies marked? I see quite a few unmarked pieces claiming to be well known pottery makers works. How would you know for sure? I would greatly appreciate your help so I can understand and know what to look for. I'm wanting to learn....

Thanks,
    Crystal

2. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Hi. No unfortunately they weren't all marked and some just have a number but no maker names. Books are a big help if you are interested in pottery for the longer term. A lot of info can be found on-line. A google search with the description of the vase (and looking at the image results) or even a search by image (you upload an image of what you have) sometimes get you the info. If you suspect a maker, add that to the search also. eBay also will often have a lot of listings that you can look through (starting with a description or suspected makers name).

Posting images here will also get a lot of eyes on them quickly, and often one of us will be able to help you.

Hope this helps! Cheers -Joe

LovesVintage and Joe2007 like this.
  3. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

Thank you so much Joe, for your wonderful descriptive help! I will upload a piece that I have. My ex picked it up at a yard sale 15 (ish) years ago and although I loved the design, the color, a light blue-gray didn't go with anything in my home so it sat in my attic. I just bought a craftsman 1912 home to take care of my Mom so she could live out the rest of her life in the beauty of the beautiful old woodwork and built-ins, so I found it again. That was a long explanation wasn't it?! :rolleyes:

4. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Actually in the case of Roseville Pottery a lot of their earlier and better lines had paper labels only which were often lost to time. That goes with a lot of McCoy too, much of their earlier work was unmarked. I think the suggestion to get some reference books is a good one, perhaps you have a Half Price Books in your area - I've bulked up my antique & collectables reference library there over the past several years. There is so much great art pottery in Ohio.

LovesVintage and lovewrens like this.
  5. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

Ohio does have some great pottery, I'm in NW Ohio, but a very small town. With taking care of Mom 24/7 and expenses for that, I can't really afford to buy books. I greatly appreciate everyone willing to help me.

Draft saved Draft deleted