QUESTIONS ABOUT ALBUM FULL OF ANTIQUE PHOTOS

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by journeymagazine, Jun 27, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this old photo album filled with 81 photographs at an estate sale last week end. I am wondering now if these are photos taken by a vacationer in Paris(?) or Europe(?) or were just souvenirs bought before going back home - because some have what looks like the location was written into the negative before printing & some even have raised seals/stamps that I've been able to find out are called 'blind stamps'.
    If it has a 'blind stamp' was that a souvenir (I can't see (no pun intended) someone having a blind stamp added to their photo if they weren't blind)? And I'm sorry if I sound like a idiot - but a blind person can't see the photograph to begin with, so why a stamp on it for a blind person to 'read?
    The ones that have the info in white on the photos - were they written into the negative first?
    How old are these photos?
    Thank you - as always I appreciate the help.
    AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY PHOTO ALBUM 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY PHOTO ALBUM 5AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY PHOTO ALBUM 4AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY PHOTO ALBUM 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY PHOTO ALBUM 3BAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A COLLECTIBLE EBAY EBAY PHOTO ALBUM 4A_AA.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Someone took "The Grand Tour" and collected these photos along the way as souvenirs. Yes the white writing was added to the negative. Late 1800's, possibly very early 1900's - note the horse and buggy.

I'm not sure what you mean about a "blind stamp." It certainly wouldn't have been there for "blind people" - the blind use Braille (a series of dots, read by the fingers) which looks nothing like actual letters.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The embossing is quite common, I see it a lot on old photo`s and photographic postcards.

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Blind stamp just means it has no colour, it is an embossed stamp, as davey said.

Christmasjoy and Figtree3 like this.
  5. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Owner took these or bought them?
    I also got a big Graflex automatic box camera & was wondering if it took these photos?

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's very likely that they bought the photos, especially the ones that have writing on the negatives. Most people don't have the equipment or skill to do that. And the blind stamp you showed looks like it says "Jeanne d'Arc" (Joan of Arc) and some other words. It might be the stamp of a photography studio, as others have indicated.

You will have to do research on your camera to see when it was manufactured and whether it technically could have taken the photos. As I said, the writing on the negatives has to have been done by a professional. Also, individuals visiting Europe generally wouldn't have a blind stamp written in French at their disposal.

This Wikipedia article gives date ranges for some of the Graflex-branded cameras. See if yours is listed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graflex

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

second page righthand could be Aareschlucht near Meiringen. what does it say underneath the lefthand ? looks familiar as well, could be near Brienz.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're right, I visited the Aareschlucht as a child and recognized it. I was trying to remember the name, thank you for that.

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted