Featured Questions about an old brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by dcfirebottle, Jan 9, 2018.

1. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

Pretty sure it's called a duette brooch. I think the two pieces that it breaks into, are dress clips (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Had it for quite a few years, after my grandmother owned it for sometime. It has no marks other than 14k on each piece plus a serial number (that you can only see with a jewelers loupe) on each piece
    Any guess to it's age or style? Also pretty sure those are natural faceted sapphires (9 on each piece 2-2.5 mm each). Do stones such as these add any real value to the piece or is it mainly just the gold?
    Asking because I'm thinking of parting with it. My wife doesn't care for it very much and never wears it. Any comments on where to sell? Truly appreciate all comments.

GOPR0259.JPG

GOPR0256.JPG

GOPR0258.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Don't sell before you know what it is and where it came from, & how old.
    Yes..the stones add value as a jewelry item.
    It's got a classy look , so gotta be worth more than melt weight value !!

Please go back and edit...hitting FULL IMAGE !!

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's quite attractive. You will want to fully research before disposing of.

Debora

4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

That's a gorgeous brooch.

kyratango, dcfirebottle, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Marie deals in vintage jewelry and she'd love to see that. Please wait for her to at least look and, I'd also suggest going to a jeweler in your city for a hands-on appraisal. Much to nice to give away. Although, if you want, I'll send you the price of postage. ;).

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Unique.....and nice!!!!!

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Something similar. Same period.

Debora

FORUM Brooch.jpg

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

This piece reminds me of a story about a friend of mine who was into vintage clothing in a big way. One day he goes to a thrift store and sees a pile of old shoes in their original boxes,and recognizing high end names on them he buys the lot.Clipped onto a pair of satin evening shoes from the 40s was a pair of diamond dress clips wich he later sold for a tidy sum! I hadnt thought about that (or him) in 30 years. :)
    Ps... I wanted to add that woman had like size 4 feet ! he couldnt sell those shoes for anything!
    Pss... I cant BELIEVE I remembered the name of the shoes ! I tell ya,Im on fire today ! LOL !https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2012-jun-joseph-larose-jacksonvilles-legendary-shoe-guru

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'll never look at old shoes the same way !

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very beautiful dc, love the design. Yes, the stones are probably sapphires.
    Dress clips or fur clips?
    14k means probably US made, and I agree with Debora, 1940s. If they had been French they could have been 30s.

You can put me on the giveaway list too, I don't mind paying the postage, not at all.:hilarious::cool:

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Duette as a trade name was registered by Cartier. Those are usually marked accordingly. This is a dress clip set. Many other makers, especially costume companies, went on to copy the principle, and they were made right up till the 1960s, I have many. What's the number on it?

Over here, you'd be looking at close to four figures on that if sapphires. Pin the serial to Cartier and all bets are off.

13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, the style is Cartier. But Cartier wouldn't mark with 14k.
    As you say, they would have the Cartier mark. They would also have 585 (for 14k gold), and French marks, the latter probably on the pins.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  14. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

Thank you for the offers to take it off my hands for the price of postage. I'll keep you in mind.
    I doubt it is Cartier. I've seen Cartier (at least some later pieces) and you know who made them, it's obvious. Plus, I'm SURE my wife would like it more if it was, and I probably wouldn't even be inquiring about it. Thanks again.

15. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

SWEET!

They are fur clips which always have the long prongs. Dress clips have a flat clip back, like this:
    ClearRSLgDressClipBk2.jpg

I would not call it a duette, duette is a name trademarked by Coro for the same thing holding costume dress or fur clips. You would not want to have this confused with costume!

16. Ownedbybear

Marie, Duette was first trade marked by Cartier. I know Coro went on to do the same in the US, but that was as Coro Duette. I'd missed the pin length: yes, fur clip.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Fur clips for sure, Moderne style, aka late Deco. If the OP is throwing, I'll go grab a catcher's mitt!

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm
    Here's the link for the US Patent office number search. This is an oldie, so it ought to come up as Image only, which is fine for you. It'll tell you who owned the patent which may well point to the manufacturer. I use it all the time.

18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Oh, nice article, thank you.

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  20. LUCY

LUCY Well-Known Member

Definitely a fur lip duet. Looks deco to me. I would have appraised, auction houses depending on what they auction, have experts on site that can evaluate the item for you at no cost. If you can identify the maker from the patent number you may be able to zero down on its worth.

Beautiful, wish I had it :)

Lucy

Draft saved Draft deleted