Featured Questions about CDVS... :)

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Hi! I've picked up another bundle of CDVs and amongst them were these.

Has anyone seen anything like the 'In Memoriam' card before? What might it be referring to? It looks like a sculpture or relief of some kind, but I can't find anything on the internet.

The guy in the middle is wearing a cap and necktie, which makes me think 'uniform'. I've searched online but no luck so far... possibly postal worker, or railway man? Does anyone know the name of that particular kind of tie?

Probable occupation for the guy on the right? Would I be right thinking butcher or shoemaker? I like that he's wearing a Bowler hat, since my family is descended from the man who made the first Bowler hat! (Just thought I'd throw that in there, lol).

Thanks for looking :)

cdvs 956 copy.jpg cdvs 957.jpg Arbroath cdv 953 copy.jpg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The tie is a Cross or Continental tie, nothing special really.
    The "In Memoriam" card is a mourning card for someone who has died, I have one for a family member but with no image, they usually had a black margin around the edges.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

4. Batman_2000

Thanks! The 'name' of the tie helps, because I had no idea what to search for!

Your mourning card makes me sad :-(. I've seen them before, but not like the CDV... I guess I was wondering if the image was significant. Shame it has no details on it.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The "In Memoriam" card ... perhaps it was for somebody well known, and that is a relief made to memorialize him? Another option that I thought of was that the relief was somebody from the Classical era and somehow symbolic of the person who was being remembered? If you don't identify the head, I don't think you will find out the reason for it. Unless somebody here has knowledge of "In Memoriam" cards that include photos of sculptural reliefs like this one.

Batman_2000 and judy like this.
  6. Batman_2000

Thanks Fig, I've done various searches but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack... I wonder if the relief was made for a tombstone, perhaps? I keep thinking it must be well known person, or someone of high status, but it's only a guess. I'll keep looking!

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Looks a bit like Socrates

8. Batman_2000

Thanks... you're right! Although Socrates' nose usually looked smaller, but he definitely has the same style. Hippocrates too, there's also a similarity there.

So I did a search for Victorian marble portraits and found this one:
    Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 08.40.06.png
    (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0274/lot-a7913909-492d-4fc5-ade7-a51500dbc002)

Not exactly the same, but similar enough to make me think there's another one out there that is a match for the CDV.

Or perhaps it was a kind of Victorian 'joke' where someone disagreed with an ancient 'thinker' and consigned him to 'in memoriam'!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted