Featured Questions about rare Paragon Teacup

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mikeamondo, Dec 9, 2020.

1. mikeamondo

mikeamondo New Member

Howdy folks,
    We bought this teacup in a box of other dainty teacups at an estate sale. We nearly had a heart attack when we spotted an identical one having sold for over $1,300 on eBay. We've searched online a good bit and found some info on this teacup, however, we've been left with questions and would like opinions. I'll start with what we've found, and then the pics will be at the bottom....
    First, here's the link to sold one on Ebay... this link should be accessible until late January '21: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-PARAG...011266?hash=item4db5d362c2:g:SfUAAOSwr8Nfkfwe
    At the time of this listing, using the search 'Paragon Floating Rose' at ebay, we saw another one in the pick variant hit $1,380 on 50+ bids. There were also several listed in that price range, but very few in the blue, like ours.
    Replacements.com: Searched thousands of patterns and played with the keywords, etc, but could not find any more info on this particular pattern.
    Googling Paragon Floating Rose, you find a good bit of information on Paragon and you see images of similar and identical teacups. Among the info we gleaned was the fact that some patterns made "by appointment" were created specifically to honor specific events.... coronations, births, etc.

Our questions are: Is it really that valuable, and if so, why?
    Is this Queen Elizabeth II's warrant? If not, who's is it?
    Does anyone know if it was made for a specific event?

We are hoping to get as much info as possible to create an appropriate listing. We are treasure hunters and it appears we may have found some actual treasure here!

Here are the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I love Paragon cups and saucers! I have a beautiful one with parasols on it. Your mark is post-1957 and the “Her Majesty“ mentioned would have been Queen Elizabeth II. Many Paragon cups and saucers are highly collectible and bring big prices, as you have seen. Yours is very desirable. :)
    Many, if not most, Paragon patterns did not have names. I believe “floating rose” is simply how collectors refer to your pattern.
    “By appointment“ does not mean that it was a commemorative item or created for a certain event. In general, royalty allows the use of their royal warrants on items from manufacturers they patronize themselves. Details on this could be found by googling.

Here is some helpful info on Paragon:
    http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/784.htm

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I’ve learnt something new. Wouldn’t have given it a second look - will do in future!

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Make that two of us ! Id have glanced and thought "how pretty" and kept rolling. Now I'll be forced to look closer.

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

(My apoligies to OP for taking this thread off on a tangent...)

@John Brassey @johnnycb09

My favorite Paragon sets are from their "Patriotic" series. I don't have the whole set but I do have all of the following (not my photos):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Holy Grail, yet to be found:

[​IMG]

bercrystal, ola402, Figtree3 and 10 others like this.
  6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Beautiful cup and saucer!

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great score Mike:) If you are going to sell it, make sure to include the word 'Cabbage' in your title and description, that is a key word for collectors.
    Aynsley is another one to keep an eye out for, not as much as Paragon but still a good chunk of change. Here is one Pearls showed on the great finishes thread:)
    Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 6.52.47 PM.png

those are wonderful bluumz:) I've never seen the V for Victory pieces.

bluumz, pearlsnblume, TraceyB and 3 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Amazing! All of them, thank you for the info and for showing the others, @bluumz .:)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Blimey. I need to start selling china across the pond.

10. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

Stunning works of art :happy:
    I have never seen anything like that down under.

bluumz, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Agree with cxgirl about the cabbage rose. I have an estate sale friend who buys these fab cups and saucers when she finds them and makes a mint.

I had another friend stumble across one at a tag sale this summer and she also almost passed out when she looked up sold listings. The latter friend sold hers for $450 I believe and it went to a place where they ship items on to China.
    Now I keep my eyes out for these to buy them for my friend.
    Also some of the tea cups with butterfly handles do well.

judy, Figtree3, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Beautiful! I never would have guessed that these bring such high prices, though.

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Even some of the saucers alone bring some decent money.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  14. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I just exited from the vintage business due to Covid and not being able to find tea cups and saucers is the one thing I miss. Most of what''s out there is ordinary, but once in awhile you can find a really fabulous one.

When I came to this thread, I didn't read any of the words, just went right for the photos and I thought, "oh! that's money there!" What a gorgeous set! Congrats on a great find!

Draft saved Draft deleted