Featured Questions and values on glass and ceramic porcelain? insulators

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Crystalina, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Crystalina

Crystalina Active Member

I bought a lot of insulators at an estate auction, the price was awesome for the whole lot! Even though I love them and always thought they were cool, I know really nothing about them. I searched for as much info as I can find, but I have no idea when they were actually made, type of insulator, value based on condition and as to
    whethe (not sure what happened here, but see below pics for rest of info) insulators all top view.jpg insulators all side view.jpg r or not I should clean them or leave them as is. Also there is a VERY unusual insulator in there. It is a Hemingray 12, but the "N" is missing in Hemingray, the 12, May 2 1893 is off set and the "E" is backwards on the word Patent. Another one from May 2, 1893 is missing the number or at least I can't find it. Here is what I have on them. I apologize ahead of time for pics, did the best I can. I have a neurological condition that makes me jerk and shake. Please keep in mind these are hard to measure, so I could be off a tad:

Aqua H 40 says Patented May 2 1893, dirty inside but not heavily so, tiny chip on outside and tiny chips on pointed bottom beads (is that what you call them?), 4" T x 3.5" base

Clear H 42, 0-4:, made in usa, 46A, chip on bottom, light dirt on inside, 4" t x 3.75" base

Aqua H 42, 33-52:. (only one with a period behind colon), made in usa, chips on outside, slightly dirty inside, 4" x 3 5/8"? base (again hard to measure)

Clear H 56, 19-57:, made in usa, slight dirt inside, superficial crack on bottom, 3.75" t x 3.125" base

Aqua H ??? there is no number I can find, May 2, 1893, Patent, Petticoat, squiggly lines throughout (see pic), chips on the bottom, very dirty, 4" t x 3.25" base

Aqua H 12 (see pic), Patent, May 2, 1893, lightly dirty, small chip on bottom, 3.5" t x 2 3/8"? base

Aqua H 12 says Hemigray, no "N" and "H" is offset (see pic), the "E" on patent is backwards (see pic), May 2, 1893, heavy dirt, small chips on bottom, 3.5 t x 2 3/8" base

Cook (2 pics), brown and tan, light dirt, no chips, 3.25" t x 3.75" base

Westinghouse (2 pics), brown, clean, no chips, 3.35" t x 3 5/8" base

SBT (Ohio Brass???), heavy(!!!), brown, light dirt, no chips, 3 5/8" t x 4 5/8" base

Attached Files:

KSW, judy, pearlsnblume and 1 other person like this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Crystalina:) I don't know much about insulators, but maybe this site can help. I don't think I would clean any of them, but wait for someone that knows more than me to respond. Looking through it is interesting, I didn't know there were so many types of insulators:)

https://hemingray.info/database/errors.php#spelling

sabre123, patd8643, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

cxgirl, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Yes I have several the same, I got around 11 in a clearance.
    I can't find the pics now.

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Chrystalina!

Welcome to Antiquers.............:cat:

These insulators were quite popular here in the States about 20 years ago, and sold well. Some collectors were buying them and turning them into candlesticks.

I'm unsure of their collectibility today, but you could do a search for completed ones on eBay to get an idea.

KSW, komokwa, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have one I bought years ago. Now that I have a good link, thanks cxgirl, I can see if it worth listing.

KSW and cxgirl like this.
  8. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

Glass insulators Green / Teal usually sell for around $10.00 each. I have seen where a yellow insulator sold for in the thousands 20 years ago. Why, I have no idea. There is a yellow insulator on Ebay for $19.00. The Ceramic insulators I have never seen sold before. Possibly you could make something out of them and and actually have them worth something. I have generalized the insulator topic. You could investigate them more and possibly find that you have a rare one! Good luck & thank you for sharing!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Most of what you have are the common insulators that I see at flea markets for maybe $3.00-$5.00. Estate sales have them for a dollar or less. The porcelain ones I believe are newer than the glass ones.

David Kiehl and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted