Featured Questions on 3 brooches

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joan, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I have a few questions on the 3 brooches below and would be most grateful for any information the jewelry experts could provide. I've done some research and am wondering if (a) they're all 1920s-30s made in China for export, (b) what the bronze-like nuggets might be made of in #1 (they look kind of like tarnished copper with silver plating that's wearing off), (c) whether the amber stone in #2 is Baltic amber (it fluoresces), and (d) what are the correct terms to use for #2 and #3 (filigree wire work?, cannetille?) ChineseBrooch-0.jpg ChineseBrooch-1.jpg ChineseBrooch-1a.jpg ChineseBrooch-2.jpg ChineseBrooch-3.jpg

Any Jewelry, judy, KSW and 6 others like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

What beautiful photos! What do you use?

judy, KSW, Lucille.b and 6 others like this.
  3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you Bookahtoo. I use my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and Affinity Photo for editing on my laptop.

judy, KSW, Lucille.b and 4 others like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

The first 2 remind me of Max Neiger in style.

judy, KSW, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  5. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I see what you mean.

judy, KSW and i need help like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The top two are both Chinese without a doubt; the first one is marked China and the second is unmistakable. The carnelian and enamel and filigree are all Chinese. The third one...dunno. Portuguese, Italian, Chinese... filigree was pretty universal. The top on is Chinese turquoise and two other stones. They're all older than I am, I think. 1950s and earlier.

Any Jewelry, judy, KSW and 3 others like this.
  7. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you evelyb. I thought the second brooch has an amber stone because it fluoresces under UV light, or does carnelian fluoresce also?

Any Jewelry, judy and KSW like this.
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Love all of them, but especially the first two!

judy, KSW and Joan like this.
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Those photos are amazing. I am truly jealous.

judy, KSW, i need help and 2 others like this.
  10. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Pearls.

judy, KSW and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

My first thought (like everyone else) "Wow, great photos!" Followed by, "LOVE these pins!"

From your opening description you have good ideas. Also thinking Chinese export for 1 and 2. The first one is really unusual. I've seen many Chinese brooches with turquoise and coral, but nothing like this, especially with the open backs. Even with a quick search couldn't find anything similar, maybe someone else would have luck. Actually as amazing as #2 is, I think this is my favorite.

#2 is just gorgeous, gorgeous Chinese export. Can't help with the center stone but love the pattern on the sides. Beautiful.

As Evelyb mentioned #3, which is a very pretty piece might be hard to nail down as to origin, but maybe others will have thoughts.

What stunning pieces!

Any Jewelry, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  12. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, Lucille, for all your comments. [edit] I think #1 is my favorite also because it's so unusual and sort of organic -- I couldn't find anything like it either after doing a lot of online searching.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    judy and KSW like this.
  13. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I'm puzzled about the metal used for the setting and the silvery-brown nuggets, and if the nuggets are cast, or just pieces of metal that were hand cut and polished to fit with the turquoise and coral nuggets.
    ChineseBrooch-5.jpg ChineseBrooch-4.jpg

judy and KSW like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The second one can come and live with me. Lovely!.

Joan, Any Jewelry, judy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed with all. Two Chinese export, one probably Portugee, as they say.

Joan and judy like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes it does. You didn't say which colour it fluoresces?
    Carnelian can fluoresce a blueish white, or even blue. Some Indian carnelians can fluoresce in the yellow-green range. China has its own carnelians, so I guess yours fluoresces blueish white or blue?

As the others said, the first two are Chinese Export. The first one is older, but my guess for the second one would be 1950s.
    The filigree and pearl one is marked 'silver', which used to be done a lot in Southeast Asia as well as China. It could be from anywhere around there. Maybe Malaysia/Singapore?

Joan and KSW like this.
  17. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Flat wire shaped to each stone soldered together and prongs soldered to the settings.

Joan likes this.
  18. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you AJ, I appreciate your opinions and information. I didn't realize carnelians fluoresce blue, bluish white, or yellow green depending on their origin. I assumed because the stone fluoresces yellow and doesn't feel like a hard stone against my teeth that it's amber (I'm sorry that I didn't mention these details at the top). Maybe from the photos below you can tell me whether it's amber (and from where), or carnelian. If it's amber, does it look like natural or the kind that's melted down and re-shaped?
    ChineseBrooch-5a.jpg ChineseBrooch-6.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    KSW likes this.
  19. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you Hollyblue for that information. I tested the metal with 18K acid solution on a black stone, and the scratches look like copper, so I guess I'll assume that's what the nuggets are also with some type of silver plating.
    ChineseBrooch-7.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My teeth are probably not that good at picking up differences in hardness, I tried (for the first time) and amber feels hard against my teeth.;)
    For me the first way of seeing if something is amber is the temperature, it is not nearly as cold as other stones.

The fluorescence on your stone looks like (Indian) carnelian to me. Carnelian is an important stone to the Chinese, it is pretty close to jade in their appreciation. I always love carnelian in pieces like yours, it goes so well with that blue and turquoise cloisonné enamel.

KSW and Joan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted