Featured Questions

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jillion, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Jillion

Jillion Member

If I am posting inappropriately, I apologize.

Where do Antiquers sell their treasures? eBay? Etsy? Auctions?
    How often can I post an item for help without being annoying?

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

From what I understand, antiquers sell at many locations.....several here do the ones you mentioned. I do not believe there is any limit on posting and asking questions, so ask away!!!! Just try to pick the correct forum.....that's helpful!!!! Pictures are ALWAYS helpful as well!!!!! I'm sure there will be others along to offer more input on selling....I personally haven't gotten in to selling...........yet:):):):)

3. Jillion

Jillion Member

Thanks Aquitane

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Oh not annoying...post away!!!

I've sold all the places you mentioned though not in a big way and right now have some things also at a consignment shop. Every place takes their cut (of those Etsy is the cheapest and the consignment shop the highest for me) but some things are more appropriate for certain places.

5. Jillion

Jillion Member

thanks say-it-slowly. I have started a store on etsy, but the social media work to be found is a bit overwhelming. May be I will try some other avenues.

6. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Yes, all that social media stuff makes me shy away from Etsy as well!

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Oh, I responded to your other post.
    Didn't know you had 2 going.

KingofThings and scoutshouse like this.
  8. Jillion

Jillion Member

I found it I didn't mean to have 2 going. Should I try to delete one?

KingofThings and scoutshouse like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Not to worry, jillion, but only a moderator can delete a post or a whole thread.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Jillion

Jillion Member

Oops okay.

KingofThings likes this.
  11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Personally, I have sold some on ebay; I've rented a table at a toy show; I've done Craigslist for musical instruments and furniture because local is easier than careful shipping for those, though I once shipped a banjo from the US to Ireland (sold on ebay).

KingofThings and Jillion like this.
  12. Jillion

Jillion Member

Thanks Steve.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. say_it_slowly

Forgot to add flea markets. I haven't been to one in awhile but there is a good one about 45 minutes from me that has once a month markets spring-fall. It's great fun and I do walk away with some cash. The downsides, the weather makes a difference and you have to get up eaaarly (like 3AM).

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Jillion

Jillion Member

Yikes that is early

KingofThings likes this.
  15. say_it_slowly

That market opens at 7AM so you have to get there, find a space, set up and be ready for the early birds. Sometimes they're shopping with flashlights because the sun isn't up yet. I do like it a lot though. :)

KingofThings and Jillion like this.
  16. Jillion

Jillion Member

That is dedication... Shopping with a flashlight.

lloyd249 and KingofThings like this.
  17. say_it_slowly

I suspect some are other dealers looking to pick up a few things to try to sell for more before the place is really open. Suits me fine and really people are nice and very interesting.

KingofThings likes this.
  18. Jillion

Jillion Member

Sounds like you really enjoy it

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I'm a collector first currently, I actually have sold nothing yet, but would like to start dealing antiques in the future as I gain more experience and expertise in the world of antiques and collectables. Here are some of my thoughts (regulars please correct me if I'm incorrect).

Unless you have a lot of experience or have a good eye for resalable items it is very difficult to make a profit when all expenses like cost of the inventory, gasoline, fees, and taxes are considered. You have to be able to deviate from your own tastes and strictly buy what is undervalued and in demand, something that I have a difficult time doing as a collector.

The best venue for resale will greatly vary on the item(s) that you are attempting to sell. Some venues may include garage sales, flea markets, antique shops, craigslist, facebook groups, eBay, amazon, specialized auction houses, specialized forums, or specialized trade shows. It is important to know how each venue, and their customers, will value your item(s) in order to maximize your returns.

According to dealers that I've conversed with; you make your money buying -- so it is essential that you buy the right item at a favorable price.

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Not off base...by a long shot....but I'd add....you shouldn't JUST by what's undervalued and in demand....cuz everyone is searching for that.
    You also need to buy with an eye towards the future...
    But it has to be things that engage you , things that you know about and enjoy...otherwise there's no motivation to get someone else to love it like you do !!

Draft saved Draft deleted