Featured QUICK QUESTION!!!!! ON A NECKLACE ???

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Aquitaine, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi all! I of all people know you don't like to do values, but need a ballpark figure if anyone is willing to help me out here!!! Am giving this necklace (an outline of Block Island) as a gift, which also could be made into a pin, and have had it at least 25 to 30 years! It is 2 and 3/16" in height and you can see the weight on the scale......it is also marked 14K on the back with the maker's initials.....Whom I knew of. I believe he is/has long since passed on. Just curious what you would consider a decent value?? Thanks for any and all help!! zzzzzB.I.jpg

2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

$333.33. Unless some famous designer name attached.

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The gold calculator I used is giving $366, but, basically, not much more than meltdown, unless, as anund said, it's the creation of someone whose name alone commands $. Think an outline of Block Island would be of interest to too few people for that aspect to add much value. If B.I. is sentimental to intended recipient, there's that.

4. Aquitaine

Thanks so much Bronwen & Anund! That's generally what I was interested in....the maker's name was Oscar J Berlin....he came to the Island and became a Taxi driver who also dabbled in making jewelry on the Island, and told what we all believed were tall stories about being related to Irving Berlin!!! Some of his pieces were very nice.....like this one, but some, I personally didn't like at all!!!!!

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The reason you get two different values is because one weight is in Ounces and the other in Troy Ounces.
    Change your scales to Grams to get a more accurate weight and value.

Aquitaine, judy, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Normal 0.5 Ounce into grams

Ounce.PNG

0.5 Troy Ounce into grams.

troy.PNG

Aquitaine, Fid and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If you're giving as a gift, not sure value matters. But I do think there would be added value for a jewelry item (especially a pendant so closely associated with Block Island) by Oscar Berlin. After all, someone just paid $24.99 + $3.66 shipping for the charm below. If it were mine and I was eBaying, I'd list for $500 (assuming a $366 scrap value) and expect to find a buyer. Block Island, like Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket is a fairly high end summer resort and there are families who holiday there/sail there generation after generation. And I doubt his pieces come onto the market very often. JMHO. Other's may differ.

https://www.blockislandtimes.com/article/obituary-oscar-joseph-berlin/31869

Debora

s-l64.jpg

8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

What a fascinating man!

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

AMAZING!!!!! Somehow, we totally missed that Oscar had died back in 2012!!! We also don't get the B.I.Times consistently either! Thank you, @Debora for finding that.....maybe I wasn't using the right key words to search for him, as I found basically ZIP on him!!! Haha! We also never, well, once maybe.....took a taxi!!!! AND that song he sang??? "Smilin' Through"? That's the house my family owned for nearly forty years and was more 'home' to me than any home we had ever owned growing up as we move so much!!! But Smilin' Through was always there. THAT was hard to see go, BUT it was my parents retirement plan, so the rest was history. Looong story but not needed here!!! No, the gold Island is a Christmas gift to a niece who adores the Island!!! It will be well loved!!! I'm SO glad you found the info!!!! Thank you again!!!!!

komokwa, SBSVC and anundverkaufen like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's some gift. Lucky girl. Sure she will treasure it.

Debora

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted