Featured Quite a heavy bauble

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by flipper, Apr 25, 2020.

1. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I came across an amber glass "bauble" that actually looks like it is a pendant...(or some sort of weapon!) I used a little flashlight for size reference. It has a polished pontil and a few bubbles, with some purposely placed striations near the top. Any ideas of when, where or why? Thanks for your time.

baub.jpg baubl.jpg bauble.jpg

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. flipper

@SYNCHRONCITY or @Any Jewelry, do you have any idea or friends (you can tag them?)with any ideas about this art glass pendant thing? Thank you

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Maybe we're back to dowsing/fortune telling. Suncatcher?

Any Jewelry, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

(I don't know how big your flashlight is so I don't know how big your bauble is;))

I found similar shapes as earrings, pendants even Christmas ornaments but they are all round bottomed and tend to be a simple fold over loop top. They are mostly handmade though so could be made many ways. Since yours is flat bottomed, is it big enough for a paperweight?

The one below came from a chandelier they say.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/485729...f=sr_gallery-1-7&organic_search_click=1&pro=1
    upload_2020-4-25_21-17-2.png

5. flipper

Mine is a little taller (3+") by about 1.75" wide, and obviously has a more refined loop top. Sorry about the size comparison. I thought these little LED flashlights were pretty much ubiquitous these days. Thanks for the information.

Now I will try to remember to tag Bronwen or SIS for my glass treasures.:happy:

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-4-26_1-36-44.jpeg i remember something like this..

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Glass is not my forte, but the options s_i_s and komo posted look quite plausible to me. I am sure others will be along later.

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  8. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

That is what it looks like to me. Glass Eye Studios do similar as Christmas tree ornaments.

9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have had glass drops like that with longer necks used to weigh down Christmas tree limbs.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I used to have one of these on my porch. Bought it from Pier One. The glass pieces were longer than flippers and iridescent.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Just curious, did anyone's drop have a flat bottom?

Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Mine had round bottoms.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. flipper

Thanks, everyone. I really like that pendant lamp. I was a little curious about the flat bottom for these very reasons. Perhaps, like SIS said, it is just a pretty paperweight?

Bronwen likes this.
  14. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Round bottom. Found in jewelry box.
    bl 001.JPG bl 002.JPG

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  15. flipper

They are pretty, either way.

Draft saved Draft deleted