Rain Spots

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SeaGoat, Oct 21, 2021.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

If there is going to be a 20% chance of rain and you have a piece of furniture in your truck, its going to rain :shifty:

Thankfully it didn't rain but a few drops, but it left signs of the spots behind :arghh:

I tried Howard's in hopes it'd rub it off, nope
    I tried light steel wool, but its taking the finish off..
    What do I try next?

20211021_173918.jpg 20211021_173928.jpg View attachment 356140

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Hair dryer or heat gun on a low setting.

judy and SeaGoat like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a half inch of "partly cloudy" in my lifetime.

Pat Dennis, judy, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

... LAW

sabre123 and SeaGoat like this.
  5. SeaGoat

Hair dryer didn't work

judy likes this.
  6. SeaGoat

I'm just throwing ideas around, stop me if I'm definitely going to ruin it, but Im just going to test in small areas.

Denatured Alcohol, boiled linseed oil :bored:, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, a matching stain
    ....fire (kidding) :rolleyes:

I was trying to put a date on the piece last night, and while doing that, I pulled the drawer out to see the joinery and saw that it had been reconstructed, then I remember the lady's estate it came from, her grandfather restored furniture and died in 1968. Her mother kept it, so whatever finish is on it is original up to the 1960s, so I guess I need to figure out what exact finish is on there, it's components, if there is wax on there, ect..

It has a flat and almost slight textured finish, but not like some of the alligator finishes I've seen before.

I guess I'll run a dehumidifier in the room it's in now until it brightens up more outside, see if I can't remove the pins out of the door hinges and take it outside for better pictures.

I'm going to post a few links here on finishes so I can trace it back.
    https://www.harpgallery.com/library/antiquefurniturefinishes.html

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/alligator-finish-what-to-do-about-it.43333/

https://www.ehow.com/how_7744939_remove-white-stains-shellac-finish.html

Fid, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Howard's Restor-A-Finish did not help this? You might try some mineral spirits but may need to reamalgamate the finish if it does not work. To do this, take some lacquer thinner on a lintless rag, working rapidly, wipe with the grain until you get the desired look. This will remove some finish and the trick is not to remove too much. If lacquer thinner does not work, I am out of suggestions, short of stripping.

SeaGoat likes this.
  8. SeaGoat

Restore a finish didn't touch it, I was surprised too.
    I've started using denatured Alcohol. Its removing the waterstains by "dissolving" the finish.
    The results seem to be a shiny fishing that brings the wood color back through.
    I like it both ways, but I prefer the darker, flatter finish (which was probably just years of dust and dirt :smuggrin:)

Here is a video I did of the denatured Alcohol dissolving the water marks

Here's a before and after of the "whitest" water spot.
    I think I'll still have some issues once this step is completed though, you can still see some lighter areas where the stain lifted from the water spots. Maybe going back over some areas well help.
    1634929338714.jpg
    20211022_125002.jpg

9. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

WOW!!! What a difference! So glad you found the right treatment :)

Draft saved Draft deleted