Rainbow Yacht 1934 Art - Antique?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Joshua Garner, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Joshua Garner

Joshua Garner New Member

Everyone on here was super helpful before with a piece of antique furniture. I now have a piece of art that might be old and I'm not sure who the artist is and if it is really that old. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Dennis Doyle. Nice print

3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Yes, Dennis Doyle. I can't complain about his penmanship, but I WILL complain about a very common name. :) Kidding. I find a couple of current possibilities, including a famous photographer, but none would have been active in the 1930s. Maybe somebody else has more. "Rainbow"... name of boat? Nice sky effects.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The Rainbow was the 1934 America's Cup winner.

Although the only picture on the page in this link shows a much larger headsail than is shown in the etching (which hides the area of the rigging so prominent there) I think this is the vessel shown in your picture.

http://www.jclassyachts.com/yacht/733

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Awesome, Abuela!

6. Bakersgma

Here's a link to a picture of a model of Rainbow that shows that the rigging matches your picture.

http://www.cuttyantiques.com/category-modelnew.html

Now, whether your etching is actually contemporary with the race itself or created later, I cannot say.

7. Bakersgma

Btw, a replica of Rainbow has been built (it was that famous in its day) and I think the picture in my first link is a picture of the replica. Still the same design, though.

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The placement of the date with the name is a bit odd. Typically, a date, if provided, would be with the signature. It may refer to the race date rather than the date of the etching. Could be a later print commemorating the winner of the 1934 race. The fact that is is numbered as part of an edition of 100, reinforces this. Numbering editions in 1934 was a lot less common than it is today. Also, an edition of 100 was particularly large for that time frame (but not entirely unheard of).

Lucille.b and komokwa like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Excellent points, Brad.

10. Bakersgma

Draft saved Draft deleted