Random Artsy Spoons - Kitty Cat Baby Spoon - Wine/Liturgical?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by scoutshouse, Jun 11, 2016.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Just curious what people think?

Kitty Cat is sterling - It looks Hagenauer- or Walter Bosse-ish, but couldn't find exact character.

KittySpoon1.JPG KittySpoon2.JPG

This brass piece looks like it may be for wine or religious ceremony? Seed theme doesn't really work with wine, though.

BrassSpoon (4).JPG BrassSpoon (3).JPG BrassSpoon (2).JPG

Attached Files:

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like a spoon for a tea caddy.
    greg

trip98, lauragarnet and Bakersgma like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

GMTA, greg. I don't see anything "religious" about the brass one.

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. scoutshouse

Which one, Greg?

AFA religious: "Weirditarians," as my brother used to call them - some churches are just super-arty.

Baptism is what I was thinking - there are actually lots of hits on holy water spoons - this one's Tiffany, but many are Hindu.

Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 10.26.53 AM.png

lauragarnet likes this.
  5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The first piece, with the unfortunate repair, looks like perhaps an artisan or even student made baby spoon. The second, perhaps a puja/pooja spoon? Not where I can check any references at the moment...

~Cheryl

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. scoutshouse

You mean at the bend/joint, DF? - it's not repaired, just the image, I guess.

lauragarnet likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could post a side shot? I'm on my phone, but on my screen, it looks very much like there is a repair where the stem meets the bowl...

The Tiffany 'holy water spoon' is a mid 20th century tea caddy spoon.

~Cheryl

anundverkaufen and scoutshouse like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

The brass one looks 60s Danish to me .

scoutshouse likes this.
  9. scoutshouse

Yeah, I'm not really comparing mine to that one :) but it's interesting to see, anyway. Here's an interesting thread on 925/1000 forum on liturgical uses of spoons:

French Liturgical Spoon?

10. scoutshouse

excuse the schmutz on the bowl.

20160611_125140.jpg 20160611_125204.jpg 20160611_125239.jpg

Attached Files:

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The first spoon with the cat head is a baby spoon.
    The second which I commented on. I do not think is any kind of liturgical spoon. All of the church approved pieces were of silver or gold. I have seen one "spoon" which was aluminium was made in the 17th Century which was extremely valuable at the time. Any church "utensil" including a brass spoon for placing incense into a thurible were marked with at least a cross.
    greg

scoutshouse likes this.
  12. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Gee, I'm worry about myself because for the life of me I can't see a cat's head on that 1st spoon. :confused: I can see the word "Sterling" on the back. Are there any maker's marks on it? As to being bent or repaired I can't tell, but if I had to guess possibly bent. I even tried editing the pics for a better look for a repair and hopefully to see a kitty - no luck on either. Am including my editing versions that really aren't much help.

Edit: Ohhhh, on viewing my pics online I can now see the kitty face in the crescent shape that I thought was a pull down something! I guess it is a kitty as opposed to the man in the moon. Might be a play on the cat jumping over the moon???

--- Susan

KittySpoon1Top.jpg

KittySpoon2Bk.jpg