Rare gold antique? What it’s meanings for gestures and emblem

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Jake Australia, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Anyone know the history or meaning of this gold Buddha

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

@Jake Australia

Jake, welcome.

There is no need to keep making posts about this Buddha.
    I have deleted two repeat posts and one were you are attempting to sell it.
    Keep to the original post and await replies.

5. Ok no problems my apoligies about the posts im new to all this and am not sure how it all works

Thank you for your assistance

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome Jake.
    It is a little stunner, beautiful!
    The photos are a bit small, could you post closeups? Also of the round symbol on his chest please.

From what I see it is the Buddha as a monk, sage and teacher, but he also seems to have a cover over his topknot which looks like an Ushnisha, a small symbol of royalty. The Buddha was born as a royal prince.
    He is seated on a lotus throne, symbol of purity and enlightenment. His left hand looks like it is in the gesture of teaching. His right hand holds a monk's begging bowl and prayer beads.
    The symbol on the base is the Vishvavajra. That shows that he is connected with Vajrayana Buddhism.
    The Vishvavajra is one of the most powerful symbols in Vajrayana Buddhism, it stands for the four winds and the powers that created the physical unverse. It also ensures harmony between all sides and between the worldly and the spiritual.

Vajrayana Buddhism is practised in different parts of mainland Asia, the best known being the Himalayan region. It used to be practised in parts of Indonesia and the Philippines as well.
    I need a bit more info to be able to say more on the possible origin of this beauty. I already replied to your convo, see you inbox top right of the page.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  7. Any Jewelry

Jake, does the symbol on his robes look something like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Yes it is the top symbol an they are stamped all around his body I’m about to post you some more close ups

9. Yes there are some old mines shafts within a 100km radius but not sure if they were for gold or not

i need help, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Thanks, closeups always help. I now see he doesn't have a begging bowl, just the prayer beads. The prayer beads in connection with a Vajrayana Buddha as a monk or sage represent crystal prayer beads, for purity and for continuity of the faith (a continuous chain).
    The round symbol is the Shou symbol for longevity. It is a pre-Buddhist Chinese symbol, but it is also used in both Chinese and Himalayan Vajrayana Buddhism.
    It would be interesting for you to find out if it was gold mining. With the mining connection I suspect this beauty was once owned by Chinese miners. If they were gold miners, they struck gold, and may have made this Buddha in gratitude.
    From Davey's post I gather you want to sell it. I think this is of interest to several museums in Australia and possibly Asia. I am thinking of museums on local or national history, gold mining, Chinese in Australia.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  11. There is a small coastal town called Mogo where there are some gold mines

12. Any Jewelry

Wonderful! Gold mining started in Mogo in 1851. Chinese were all over the Aussie gold fields, with a very sad history in Lambing Flats.

Here is something on Chinese gold miners, from the Mogo goldrush theme park:
    https://www.goldrushcolony.com.au/a...y-culture-info/chinese-australian-gold-fields

https://www.goldrushcolony.com.au/a...se-australian-gold-fields/chinese-communities

https://www.goldrushcolony.com.au/a...australian-gold-fields/chinese-mining-methods

Jake, I definitely think this is the connection. This is an exciting find in more ways than one.

13. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Wow, stellar info, AJ!

14. Any Jewelry

I think I am more excited about this find than Jake is.:hilarious: This is a real wow piece to me, and if my suspicions are right, an amazing historical background.:happy:

15. So where do I go to from here
    re the history and the value of this piece

i need help likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

17. Yes most definitely will thank you for the information you have provided to me

Where would I turn to wanting to sell this antique dealer??

i need help, Jivvy and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

If you don't want to sell it to a museum, or if they are not interested, you may want to try a specialized auction instead of a dealer. Auctions attract collectors.
    I don't know about Australian auction houses, I believe @Miscstuff is in Oz, maybe he knows which one to go to.:)