Featured Rare vintage toy

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by springfld.arsenal, Jul 14, 2015.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Here's a short film ad I never saw when growing up, even though I paid close attention to any toy gun ad. I've never seen a single example of this toy either. I wonder if it just didn't sell and had a very short production run, or what? Has anyone seen one?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mNWr9eF2Huk

2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOW!
    Try to sell that today.
    I don't recall it but wish I had my Rifleman one the most. :(

Kasperscuriosities likes this.
  4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Springfld.arsenal, DH was thrilled to see that advertisement again and remembered that ad from when he was a little kid. He said he never did have a Roy Rogers "hat gun" though.

5. KingofThings

I had RR stuff and it seems I had his whole outfit though still don't recall that hat but maybe.....
    I loved Sky King and had something of his but no recollection for sure other than I had planes that looked like his.
    I had some great stuff including quite a few pedal cars. All stolen. :(
    I still have both my 1950s 027 and HO Lionel trains. :)
    Used to go to the store in NYC often. :)

6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Huh - I used to stare at the radio dial while listening to Gale Gordon as Flash Gordon..........that is until Flash married that "girl!" Dale.............What a wuss! He married a girl! We were so disappointed.......until WE discovered girls.............

Oh, and I did have a Flash Gordon "Secret Decoder Ring".............wonder what happened to that......................

7. KingofThings

Dang gurls anywho. ;)

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I always wanted a Johnny 7 when I was a kid but my parents couldn`t afford it.

They sell for $700+ boxed on eBay.

As an adult I got to use real weaponry in real life situations, I`m glad I didn`t have those phoney actors alongside me.

It is wrong that such people as Stallone, Cruise and Wayne etc be paid fortunes for just playing the part with no danger, when real people were paid a pittance for doing the real thing.
    I guess Batman never assumed a real persona so he was okay and he did have that evil Joker fella to contend with.:cool:
    However the wearing of short pants over tights was a big no no on covert operations.:rolleyes:

9. KingofThings

Ha!!!
    Actually...who would pay attention to that outfit. Couldn't be a viable threat...could it? ;)

10. KingofThings

You are correct sir!
    And I also don't think much of the fact that people are given days off work, with pay, for certain holidays and they are not veterans nor do they attend nor support anything to do with the reason they have the day off...not even fly our flag.....while veterans work and serve. :(
    ~
    That gun looks SO familiar. I had a couple of Tommy guns that worked like that same slide mechanism does. Must've been Topper as well.

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Neither my husband or I remember the gun/hat or the commercial. I know I had a holster and gun, but don't recall the make. I think I had a cowboy hat, too.

12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I don't recall seeing either one of those commercials either.

Certainly was a more innocent time that we will never see again.
    :-(

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth!

14. KingofThings

We must be saved from ourselves. :p

Kasperscuriosities and Tina like this.
  15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I was a wicked tomboy. My parents really didn't want a girl. I have a picture of me at age 5 dressed as Annie Oakley with my holster and two guns. I had the Rifleman repeating rifle when I was 8 for Christmas. I found it hidden underneath my parents bed and managed to get it out and play with it after school without them knowing. Christmas morning, my mother couldn't figure out why some of the plastic bullets were missing. I'd lost them in the woods. I had a Zorro outfit with plastic sword that had chalk in the end so I could make Zs on everything. I got a bow and arrow when I was 7. Yup. No dolls in my house. I had the full Daniel Boone outfit with fringed shirt and coonskin cap. When the cap deteriorated, I tied the tail on my bicycle seat.

16. KingofThings

OMG!!!! My favorite rifle too!!!! Wish I still had that. :(
    I recently watched some episodes on a DVD I have. :)
    That show taught so much about morals but we really didn't know it did we. :)
    VEEEERY clever with Zorro there! Another show that was similar with morals too as well DB and Davy Crockett also! :)

17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Sky King and his niece Penny were favorites, too. Wasn't her beau named Lofty Craig? My absolute favorite was Sgt. Preston of the Yukon. Mush you huskies!

18. KingofThings

OMG!!!! ALL faves of mine as well!!!
    I had numerous sizes and colors of his plane and played for hours with those and built Lincoln Log ranches. ;)
    LC was Annie Oakley's.
    Sgt. Preston was so good. To this day I say; 'Hush you muskies' but only I seem to know what that means and that it is twisted.... Yeah...go ahead. ;)

19. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

"Hush you muskies" is what we always said too!
    I didn't get to see many TV shows unless I went to my Grandpa's or a friend's house (and she lived 2 miles away). We got our TV when I was about 12.
    But we did listen to all the radio shows.

20. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I imagine that very few of the gun hats ever sold because of a serious conceptual error by the makers. It is billed as a 'surprise, hidden' gun hat.

Kids play with the same kids all the time. You could surprise them with your secret gun hat just once, after that that they'd all know about it, so you'd surprise no one.

I expect it was also uncomfortable. No kid wants to spend money on an invisible toy, or a hat. It'd be no thanks, I'd rather have a flashier holster or some other toy with more life and display to it.

I bet the makers had to send tons of unsold stock to the dump. They should have asked a few children their opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted