Featured Rare women’s keris from East Java

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Any Jewelry, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A bit more 'show and tell'. Not jewellery this time, but a stunning little keris.
    It is a very rare patrem or women’s keris from East Java. Probably from Blambangan, the last Hindu kingdom on Java, Indonesia (until ca. 1800).
    DSC07918 (352x640).jpg
    Blambangan was located at the eastern tip of the island, between high volcanoes in the west and warfaring Bali to the east.

A keris is a spiritually charged weapon which originated in the Hindu-Buddhist era on the island of Java, Indonesia.
    Keris are forged during a long and intricate proces of meditation, ceremony and prayer following ancient traditions. They are 'filled' using ancient knowledge of acquiring the help of heavenly and earthly spiritual powers, which can help a specific future owner. They are seen as spiritual aids to harmonize the owners personality and enhance his or her circumstances. Keris are often used for meditation and as an aid in spiritual growth.
    DSC07924 (375x640).jpg
    The sheath is called sandang walikat, it is classic Javanese and has a compact shape for travelling.

DSC07921 (427x640).jpg
    The blade has 3 luk or waves, which helps to remove obstacles in life. It has a very rare and beautiful pamor or damascene pattern: Pamor Mayang Sekar (betelpalm blossom), it is believed to help with social interaction and convincing others of your ideas.

DSC07923 (427x640).jpg
    Carved on one side of the base is a lion shape, the Singa Barong. Barong is the lord and protector of the forest spirits, he can take on many forms, but is usually depicted in his manifestation as a singa or lion.
    On a blade, the singa signifies strength. Some say Singa Barong blades used to be reserved for kings, others say for generals.
    Between the blade and the hilt is a typical east Javanese silver granulated mendak or hilt ring.

DSC07933 (427x640).jpg
    Antler hilt in the shape of elephant-headed Hindu god Ganesha in old style Javanese court dress. His crown is that of a deity.
    Like an elephant in the jungle, Ganesha removes obstacles. He is the ‘Lord of Beginnings’, patron of arts, sciences, intellect and wisdom. The hilt shows Balinese influence.
    Dating an antique keris is according to 'tangguh' or estimate. Tangguh applies to the blade only, keris often have 'dress' from a later date. This dress is also antique, but probably a bit later than the keris itself.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  2. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful blade!

3. Any Jewelry

Thanks.
    It was the first time I saw a Singa Barong blade on a patrem (women's keris). I was lucky to get it for a very low dowry;). You don't buy a keris, you pay a dowry, because a keris is seen as a fiance(e).

4. Melissa Brown

Melissa Brown Well-Known Member

Beautiful! Thank you for the show and tell! I love learning new things! :bookworm:

5. Any Jewelry

So do I. And this subject is so little known outside southeast Asia and The Netherlands, where I am.
    I am writing a book on the spiritual and cultural backgrounds of keris from Java and Madura, two islands where the keris has always been truly spiritual and mystical. And beautiful of course, an inspiring bonus.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

That's ultra sweet.......
    Good luck with the book !
    May I suggest a title.....
    When is a knife , not a knife !
    or
    When you care enough, to make a Keris !
    :happy:

7. Any Jewelry

Thanks! It is in Dutch, thinking of an English one as well, but I also want to reach the young Dutch-Indonesians who are researching their roots.
    'Indos' as the name seems to be now, are the largest (silent) ethnic minority in The Netherlands, over 10% of the population. That is only counting the ones who came here after WWII, not people like myself, 7th generation.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    kyratango and scoutshouse like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Even sweeter, a tiny healing keris Naga Seluman (hidden dragon):
    DSC07936 (418x640).jpg

9. Melissa Brown

Melissa Brown Well-Known Member

So tiny and elegant!

10. Any Jewelry

It is! They even managed to carve the dragon's head and curved neck. And made using exactly the same sacred procedure as the big ones, amazing.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've heard of patterning in steel like that being called "watering" and resulting from the mixing of different grades of metal during the forging. It's very elaborate on that blade, but I've also read that one way to tell a good kiri blade is by the watering.

If you Google "watered steel blade", there are plenty of examples of the effect.

scoutshouse and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Watering is a term I don't know for keris, but could it refer to pamor Akhodiat, which has silvery bits in the pattern? That is very sought after.
    A good keris is made of iron from seven sources, the pamor pattern is caused by the natural inclusion of chromium, nickel, titanium. Ideally from meteorite iron (heavenly), but that wasn't always available. The core is steel, for strength.
    Here are two examples of Pamor Akhodiat: DSC04867 (427x640).jpg DSC04812 (427x640).jpg

13. Any Jewelry

Those 'watered' damascus steel blades look a bit like Pamor Uler Lulut (creeping caterpillar): DSC06452 (640x427).jpg

14. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

So beautiful, @Any Jewelry !

You've probably already seen this page but - for those with the curiosity - the amount of detail and the meaning of each detail is stunning (compared to our humble little penknife)! :)

I did a word search on that page, and Singa (lion) is only mentioned ONCE.

Origin and History of the Keris

Congratulations on your engagement!

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. KevinTN

KevinTN Member

Those are some great knives. Each knife has a story which makes them more interesting. It's a great match with their superb craftsmanship.

Kevin

Any Jewelry and scoutshouse like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Thanks! I am a bit of a polygamist, if you can use that term for engagements.
    I have about 200 keris, about 30 are women's patrem. Another favourite type in the collection is the Keris Naga, with a dragon on it like the tiny one has. I have about 20 Nagas, some are also patrem.
    Some keris are leaving though, it was either that or find a new house;). The trouble is, everytime I send a few off, I get a new one:rolleyes:. This Singa Barong came after three big ones had left, so at least I saved some space:angelic:.

The site in your link provides nice information, a lot of it from a book by a French collector. Although the site perpetuates some of the usual misconceptions, it is better than some.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

do u display them, and if so how ?

18. Any Jewelry

Every possible way.
    The graceful way, part of the royal patrem corner in my study, 2 Madura patrem:
    DSC07937 (474x640).jpg

Keris corner in my study, 3 'ploncon' for keris, mostly Madura and north Java:
    DSC07938 (640x427).jpg

Egg rack converted to patrem ploncon, Java, Madura, Bali, Sumatra:
    DSC07940 (458x640).jpg

Keris corner downstairs, Mostly Madura, some Java, one Bali, one Bugis (Sulawesi island):
    DSC07942 (427x640).jpg

On top of a Chinese cabinet, Madura, Java. The little statuettes are mostly keris hilts.
    DSC07943 (640x427).jpg
    And then there is an old wooden Chateau Margaux box, converted to keris box by a well-known Dutch-Madurese family..... And more.....

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    kyratango, komokwa and scoutshouse like this.
  19. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Wow - the way I feel looking at an impossibly large, beautiful waterfall!

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Yes, it's a bit keris overload, in a good way. But too much right now, that is why we're listing some in one of our Etsy shops.
    But again, all of them have their complex stories, and when I think of that it is always hard to say goodbye.
    Some more show and tell in the months to come:).

Draft saved Draft deleted