Real Antique Charcoal and pastel Drawing by well known artist or just a Print? Help please

Discussion in 'Art' started by Nicolai Alexander Damm, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Hi Forum

Hope there are some Antique drawings and prints experts in here.
    This is a Charcoal and pastel I believe. But real or a print?
    I personal think it might be real and the paper have been threated with something to secure the coal that else easy will come off. But I am no expert and understand that there was and am some advanced print methods that come close to the real handwork. I have taken some pics with my camera and played with my "cheap" USB microscop and UV light. I have not tried to test it in any other way, as I fear to damage the artwork. Its signed LT for Laurits Tuxen, a well known artist. The girls are his Daughter and the other girl is Vibeke Krøyer. I have never seen another on the market. The image is in a old book. Could be same picture or another print... if print?

Thanks
    Nicolai

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I have looked at this a couple times and have to say I honestly don't know. I am leaning to this being a print as the good close-ups you provided seem to show distinct edges to the black coloration and it seems to sit on top of the paper. I also seem to see some patterning visible in the larger shaded grey areas. That said, some of the other photos look like an original. In either case, I don't see pastel/charcoal. I think more likely crayon or oil pastel if original.

3. trailboss

trailboss New Member

I agree, looks like a silkscreen lithograph. Nice image.

4. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Silkscreen (or serigraphy) and lithography are two different printing processes.

5. trailboss

trailboss New Member

Thank you Mark and yes you are correct. This item would be a serigraph.

6. Thanks forum members for your kind help. Nice to have solved this mystery

Thanks
    Nicolai

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted