Featured Real fur Halloween cat -- newer or vintage?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lucille.b, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Too soon for Halloween? I had to go with this category... not an antique, not art, not military... Figured the "fur" was the closest to "clothing", etc.

At a sale with zero items, somehow wound up getting this (just to buy something!!) for $3. I wondered if it might be vintage as the base is sort of velveteen and eyes are glass. I think the fur is rabbit. Would rather have faux fur, but this guy just had such a Halloween look, and figured might have Halloween interest as it is kind of has a scary looking meow.

I see some new (2000?) made in China fur cats, but would they have glass eyes? Thoughts on age? Thanks.
    cat1.jpg cat2.jpg aaacat.jpg

2. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Yeah, he strikes me as "newer" ... and adorable!

Although it makes me cringe to think that a cat died in China to make one!
    Leslie

Christmasjoy, judy, Tanya and 5 others like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Don’t wrap it in plastic if real fur, especially if rabbit.

Christmasjoy, judy, ulilwitch and 2 others like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Just asking because I don't know: did they make real fur, stuffed animals with mohair feet?

ulilwitch likes this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Don't know if that is old or new, but I would list it when you can for Halloween.
    Makes for a super prop for a party or in a window.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

he's so cute !!

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks for the thoughts. Do you think mohair on the base? That and the glass eyes got me thinking it might be a bit older like 60's, but everything else looks newer. The mouth is some kind of hardened foam, not papermache or anything. I don't think a cat died for this, but a rabbit might have. Guessing that the rabbit meat was eaten, though, the fur being a byproduct.

And here I'm a vegetarian.

Appreciate the tip about avoiding plastic covering.

The cat is hollow (paper? cardboard?) in fact I can hear something lightly rattling around inside, I don't think deliberate though.

As mentioned, purchased it thinking excellent Ebay prop for Halloween. And just went on Ebay, Halloween things are flying off the shelf so now is the time to list it would seem. It really has a decent Halloween vibe, a bit scruffy as if it got in a fight, a "Don't mess with me" look.

Part of me is tempted to write a elaborate back story to this guy to generate interest. (Don't worry, I probably won't for the auction.)

"We put the cat away in a box, and when we woke up, it was back in the living room!

100% true: "Another woman was carrying this around at the estate sale, but later the cat was back on the table!"

Actually Halloween is the only holiday that won't be impacted by Covid 19 (masks) so people are probably looking forward to it.

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It looks better quality than what Id expect from China.

Christmasjoy, judy, Msalicia and 2 others like this.
  10. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Faux taxidermy? Ha ha.

Christmasjoy, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  11. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

Yes, especially Steiff. Hey I was born on Halloween. Mom died on Halloween and my latest puppy was presented to me with papers that she was born that date too. So in my case, Halloween was great till mom died, then as they things happen in 3’s, the puppy turned into the sweetest thing alive. So, I believe in the circle of life and what goes around comes around. BTW the cat is awesome, full expression. I agree don’t put it in plastic if real fur, the colder the better.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted