Real Photo Postcard

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Kelly Dean, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Kelly Dean

Kelly Dean New Member

CE2A44CC-F6BC-405A-B17F-C67783EF57DA.jpeg 073C803A-B003-4748-97F8-51742412EA61.jpeg Greetings!
    I found this postcard tucked inside a page of an old book I found at a thrift store and I was curious if anyone had any information on the age or what team this might be??
    Thank you!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Kelly! It would help folks to see your pictures if you use the Edit function under your post, then More Options, to change your pictures from Thumbnail to Full Image. :)

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

According to Playle's postcard website, the stamp box on the back with AZO and four triangles at the corners, all facing up, dates the postcard stock from 1904-1918. Perhaps the person whose name is on the back can be researched. Not sure. It might be difficult with no location to focus on...

Here is the Playle's table for stamp boxes on early real photo postcards: https://www.playle.com/realphoto/

And welcome, Kelly!

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a good looking group of young men. Look like they're posing for a Ralph Lauren ad.

Debora

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Surprising number of Spencer Leger's in the world. May I ask what state you found the book in? And what is the book's title?

Debora

Figtree3, Kelly Dean and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing Debora. Usually in photos from that period they arent quite as easy on the eye!

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Great link Figtree. Thank you for posting it.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

In those days a lot of football teams were college teams; that's probably a bunch of college boys.

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

The hair styles make me think of the late 1910s or 1920s, but that's just a hunch.

Kelly Dean and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. Kelly Dean

Kelly Dean New Member

Sorry thank you for the advice!

12. Kelly Dean

Kelly Dean New Member

Hi! I found it in Norfolk, Virginia and it was a Cookbook called ‘Women’s Favorite Cookbook’ from 1902!

13. Kelly Dean

Kelly Dean New Member

14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

You're welcome!

One caveat is that there might have been other men with the same name. And even if it's the same man, it doesn't necessarily mean the team and Spencer Leger are connected to the same school.

Christmasjoy and Kelly Dean like this.
  15. Kelly Dean

Kelly Dean New Member

Ok I figured out to do it!! Sorry!

Christmasjoy, Pat P and Bakersgma like this.
  16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good job! No need to be sorry. A lot of new members do the same thing.

17. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

That's about right for the helmets, too.

18. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

That is one group of seriously good-looking dudes! Even the one with the ears!

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Those hats look like scrum caps worn by forwards in Rugby

Kelly Dean and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted